2008 FEH Newbie Needs Opinions from the Pros

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

2008 FEH Newbie Needs Opinions from the Pros

Postby meljoemom - January 10th, 2017, 12:55 pm

So over the weekend I purchased a 2008 FEH in gorgeous metallic blue. The kids are calling her "Ole Blu". I took her to my mechanic just to get things checked out yesterday and now I am scared to death. This was an insurance coverage replacement so the cost of a new Hybrid battery would not be in the cards after checking with Ford. They tell me I have another year in warranty then the part will cost 7K. My mechanic tells me Ole Blu is in pristine condition and she only has 56K miles. I thought that was a good thing until I see the story on taxis making it to 300K.. those things driving ALL THE TIME. Just looking for some honest feedback from you guys. I want to keep it...both the kids and I are in love... but I don't have the funds to dump another $7K into it in 2 years.... What to do?
meljoemom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2008 FEH Newbie Needs Opinions from the Pros

Postby Escape94 - January 10th, 2017, 1:04 pm

:hi: :welcome: :hi:

So if I understand correcy your FEH is in perfect condition but you are worried about replacing the hybrid battery? Theoretically you should not have to replace that as they are designed to last a long time. You are right with the taxi stories. If you care for it we'll the FEH will last you many many miles. Hopefully some of the hybrid owners will chime in soon.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby meljoemom - January 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Yes.. she's gorgeous and in good shape mechanically and my mechanic knows his stuff, but he seems to think I would be lucky to get 10 years out of the battery.. that it's not miles, but time. Everything I have been reading talks about not letting them sit so there is a small concern about how good it actually is for the FEH to only have 56K miles. I paid 8795 and usurped someone who was desperately trying to to buy it, but couldn't pass credit. There was someone else coming to check it out after me.. was a VERY attractive vehicle only advertised for one day. I would post a photo, but not sure how.
meljoemom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Linna - January 11th, 2017, 12:16 am

The oldest FEHs have been on the road 13 years now. Yours probably was sold in 2007. I remember the 2008s first went on sale in Jan of 2007. You can check online if any FEH battery rebuilders in your area or if reman batteries are sold. Brand new 330v batteries probably are pretty scarce since they aren't needed for warranty repairs. Newer FEHs and other hybrid Fords have a different battery pack.
You're also right that nobody can accurately predict the total lifespan of an FEH battery or how much charge it could still give/take after 10 or more years. Battery life could depend on a lot of environmental as well as total usage factors.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby Jay2TheRescue - January 11th, 2017, 9:45 am

So these fears are just because its 9 years old, and not because there's any problems? Ford designed the battery to outlast the vehicle. The only manufacturer that has hybrid battery longevity issues is Honda. Ford has an exceptional track record with their battery longevity. I've only ever heard of 2, maybe 3 battery failures, and I'm an admin and/or moderator on several automotive websites. Even at that, one of the batteries that was replaced, I wasn't convinced was really bad. I thought there was another issue with the vehicle that the mechanic was blaming on the pack.

Hybrid drivetrains are still relatively new technologies, and many mechanics just don't know that much about them. Fortunately, most of the hybrid specific known issues can be fixed in your own driveway relatively cheaply if you're moderately handy. I can say this for a fact, as I own and drive a 2008 Escape Hybrid 4wd.

That all being said, Welcome to the FEH owners club! As the proud owner of a new FEH, there's a few things that you should pay particular attention to...

1. While the hybrid battery pack will likely outlast the car, the 12v battery under the hood will not. Mysterious problems will crop up when this starts to fail, and battery testers at most mechanics shops and auto parts stores cannot properly test it. It is possible for a battery that tests as "good" to cause problems in an FEH, as this 12v battery's sole job is to power the computer system and vehicle controls. My recommendation is if the date code on the 12v battery is 5 years old or older, replace it... even if you aren't having any problems. If the battery is less than 5 years old, load test it. If it does not test as 95% or better, replace. If the tester comes up as "Charge before testing"... REPLACE. The battery should always be at 100% charge, as all it does is power the computer and relays.

2. 2005-2008 FEH's have a separate air filter for the cooling system for the battery pack. In the rear cargo area, on the left wall is a small removable panel. Under it is another black panel. Remove it and check the filter. This filter should be changed every 10K-15K miles, If you're going by the oil life monitor, you will replace this filter every other oil change. This filter is about $5 if you order it on RockAuto.com. Personally, I replace it at every oil change.

3. The engine thermostat. Since you can't get into electric mode until the engine warms up to operating temperature, a properly working thermostat is imperative. The thermostat is designed to fail in the open position, so as it ages, it starts to open earlier and earlier. Take a glance down there. If it looks like it still has the original hose clamps on the hoses going to the thermostat housing, I'd replace it.

Well, that's enough to get you started on the right foot... If you have any questions, just ask.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby meljoemom - January 11th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the information. I called and talked to a Service Guy at Ford and he said that in 17 years he has never seen a battery fail.

I will also check all the areas you mention once we get a dry day.

Today was the first day I drove it to work and I found the "INFO" button! Wow! It says I am averaging 26.3 mpg. Does that sound low? It's pouring cats and dogs here in SoCal and I drive about half city streets and freeway to get to work. Let me know.

Thanks again for taking the time.
meljoemom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - January 11th, 2017, 2:23 pm

You don't know when that was last reset, and it likely spent a while idling while the dealer's mechanics were playing with it. . I reset the economy display at each fill up.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby meljoemom - January 11th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Jay2TheRescue wrote:You don't know when that was last reset, and it likely spent a while idling while the dealer's mechanics were playing with it. . I reset the economy display at each fill up.

Guess I have to read my manual because I'm not sure about the reset thing. I will fill up on my way home so will check it out. You do your name justice. Thanks again.
meljoemom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - January 12th, 2017, 12:07 am

Reset is right by the info button.

Oh, and the username... I started using that username in the mid 90's when I was an EMT.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby meljoemom - January 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

:yahoo: So exciting to watch the mileage! I reset at fill-up and by the time I got off the fwy it was up to 36 mpg! After the street portion of my drive home I finished in the driveway at 33 mpg. Thank you very much again for everything. I have decided to keep ole blue...although my kids will totally love your "Toaster" moniker! The rain is still falling so will have to investigate the other areas this weekend. And I probably will reach out in the future. I AM fairly handy, but will have to learn about things of the engine!
meljoemom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Hybrid Green Zone