Bad News All Around

Talk about anything related to your Escape, Mariner, Tribute, Maverick!

Bad News All Around

Postby mailtime - August 15th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Hi I have a 2005 Ford Escape and recently found out I need new engine mounts transmission mounts and my lifters are going bad and I need new tires and brakes in the front and rear and new disc in the front.

Is it worth it to put all the time and money in to it or should I just try selling it as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mailtime

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Bad News All Around

Postby raysfan - August 15th, 2016, 5:00 pm

If you are going to sell it, do not have the repairs done. The cost of repairs will exceed what you can get back via increased sales value. ESPECIALLY SO IF IT IS HIGH MILEAGE (over 160,000 miles) If you sell it as is, you can get a little something for it.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby RobtRoma - August 15th, 2016, 5:20 pm

I moved this topic from SCT to Tailgate Chat - Rob
ImageImage
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time,
but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment...

ImageImageImage
RobtRoma
Super Moderator and E-C's 100,000th AND 200,000th Poster

E-C LEVEL 20
My nickname: Rob
My vehicle: 2002 XLT 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Mean Green Machine

Postby MadMax - August 15th, 2016, 5:54 pm

How many miles are on it?
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 18

Bad News All Around

Postby mailtime - August 15th, 2016, 6:06 pm

MadMax wrote:How many miles are on it?

Only 124 thousand and I heard about a product called engine medic it can supposedly get rid of the lifters ticking noise let me know if I can trust this product thanks.
mailtime

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Bad News All Around

Postby mailtime - August 15th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Thanks Rob for moving it I'm new to escape city and I'm still figuring the site out thanks
mailtime

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Mike Dee - August 15th, 2016, 8:32 pm

If you doo the work yourself thats only a few hundred for parts and a couple days work, plus the tires. You can get decent used tires if money is an issue, but tires are a personal thing, some have very strong opinions on tires lol.

Anything that supposedly fixes everything and comes in a can are generally best left on the shelf, they work well right there. If theres a problem then fix it. Are you sure its lifter noise? Thats not a high mileage engine, but anythings possible. Is the noise constant, only at startup or only when hot. It could even be an exhaust leak, sometimes they can fool you.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - August 15th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Changing the oil with synthetic usually quiets noisy lifters.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby TributeLove - August 16th, 2016, 4:10 pm

mailtime wrote:I need new engine mounts transmission mounts and my lifters are going bad and I need new tires and brakes in the front and rear and new disc in the front.

Sounds like it needs some work - but prioritize over time.

Engine and transmission mounts are not urgent - unless you need a certificate for them to keep driving. Just drive smoothly (slow off the mark and no towing heavy loads). Get the faulty one/ones replaced when you can afford it - shop around for best price.

Lifters - the engine still runs don't it? Not a safety issue! Get thicker oil - not too thick though! Smoke and oil leaks are problems - does it qualify for oil leaks and smoke - if not, who cares?

Tires I would spend money on, shop around.

Your brakes still work, but get the front disks and pads replaced, shop around.
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Return to Tailgate Chat