2005 Escape XLT V6 FWD

Enter your requests here. We'll try to find a guide for you!

2005 Escape XLT V6 FWD

Postby DKloud216 - September 18th, 2016, 10:23 pm

*Sorry about typo in headline, its a 2006 not a 2005
Just acquired a 2006 Escape XLT 3.0 FWD with 53,000 miles on her. She does have some rust issues at the moment...
Going tomorrow in the morning to a local body shop for a quote for a repair. A little search in here has shown it to be a bit pricy. Anything else I should really be checking? Interior is immaculate. It was a 1 owner vehicle that was serviced properly(or so I was told but seems to check out) it's just the one side with the rust issues so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
DKloud216

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: 2005 Escape XLT V6 FWD

Postby edmagee - September 19th, 2016, 11:20 pm

This was not uncommon in 2005-2006. Get a rubber mallet and tap hard around the wheel well on both sides for soft spots. The oem rubber guard will hide a lot. Real risk is that shock mounts will rust out and send the shocks right into the cargo area.

Entire back interior trim needs to be removed to get at it. I went to 4 body shops. 2 quoted patching, 2 quoted replacing entire wheel house and warned against patching. Quotes from 1400 - 6000$. Mine looked no where as bad as yours does. I had a quarter size spot rust on the wheel arch, and a golf ball size perforation on one side just like in the 2nd photo. Other side had a lot of rust hidden by the rubber guard.

You might get be told it is not safe to drive after a more thorough inspection and how bad the rust is

I went with the 1400$ patch last year to get a few more years out of it. I had only 70 000 km, spotless interior. But at 11 years old, not worth a 6000$ fix.

If you get a patch, make sure they put gravel guard on both exterior and interior to block moisture and air. Then oil spray every year

Sorry about the bad news, good luck.
edmagee

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 05 Escape

Re: 2005 Escape XLT V6 FWD

Postby DKloud216 - October 2nd, 2016, 2:04 pm

Well just got her back the other day, ~$800 later and here is how she looks. Image
Next thing is addressing the fender lips, plan in sanding down to see actual damage. If too shot, I'll cut off rust, prep the metal, and more or less just hide with some flares. The quote if $3,200 to repair is just outrageous for this 10 year old lady. But yesterday I did do some preventative rust coating of under carriage. Image
Also a bit of tint on tailights.Image
Going to pull a part here in a little bit to check out the 15 models they have on yard right now for little things.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
DKloud216

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to How-To: Requests