Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

CD jammed 2002 Tribute CD Stacker

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  TributeLove 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Picture shows which factory CD/radio I have. Whilst inserting CDs (it can take 6), I didn't know and didn't wait and tried to install second CD whilst watching the road and didn't see the word WAIT on display. Now first CD is jammed, won't play, won't eject. Player runs for about 5 mins trying to do something mechanical, then shuts-off.

So how do I fix without taking unit out and apart? If I have to take apart, where do I start to remove unit?

See less See more
#7 ·
Just an update for those that might be interested. I'm in a remote work camp, so can't wait to get the four U tools required for this model, but I did get radio out without visible damage.

I found some fencing wire I was able to insert in holes, but the rear locating/positioning/support lug wedged in the dash frame added LOTS of resistance for it to slide out. So with being unsure if my eight bits of wire operated by two hands was doing the right thing, I went a step further. Two screws, dash facia unclips, six or so plugs, sharp knife (cut dash frame holes) and two persons (one with tough finger tips to compress catches) slid it out.

I split the CD part from the rest of the radio and the radio still works without it, so I reinstalled the radio and will look at CD part later - maybe!

Cut these out (hindsight, if I had a drill, two finger holes to retain strength in frame)

Revealing spring clips

Complete unit removed

Close-up of the clips

Stuff removed from unit - radio still works

How it went back in the car

#8 ·
The radio in the Tribute is definitely a Mazda creation. As you have discovered it is modular in nature. The top CD changer is a module. On the bottom it can have a tape player (mine came with that in addition to the CD). And it was rumored that a mini disc player would also fit in the tape player spot. I also remember someone had made a board to hook into the tape player port to add aux input.

But as everyone points out it is much easier to just replace the hu since it can accept a standard double din replacement.

#9 ·
Yes bluto, a very clever design - but would have been terribly expensive back then.

I did not the bottom side also had a port/interface, like the top. I'm guessing the tape player was located at the bottom?

I would love to know which pins do what on this unit to add an AUX port/input.

#11 ·
Too bad I didn't see this earlier... You could have tried cutting up and using a wire clothes hanger to remove the radio vs cutting up the back part of the dash. This is a pretty common way of pulling older Ford radios. Gotta hand it to you in that you've gone way beyond any other effort I've seen to correct this issue. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.