TSB 15-0157, Rear Wheel Well Rust/Corrosion, 09-12 Escape

Official Ford recalls and TSBs!

Re: TSB 15-0157, Rear Wheel Well Rust/Corrosion, 09-12 Escap

Postby FRENCHY - May 16th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Thx again Pat :thumb: :thumb:
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby peelman - June 18th, 2016, 12:17 pm

I'll take my 2011 in for the rear passenger patch panel repair at Fords bodyshop $900. Also sent off an email to Ford Canada and received the standard reply of Sorry about your problem. We'll work with your dealership to find a resolution, but really you're SOL. This is my 4th new Ford vehicle and 2nd escape, never had a vehicle rust out in 5 years.
peelman

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 FWD

Postby MadMax - June 18th, 2016, 6:37 pm

If you got 5 years before rusting on your E in Canada you're doing good
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby peelman - June 19th, 2016, 7:44 pm

MadMax wrote:If you got 5 years before rusting on your E in Canada you're doing good

I have rust showing after 5 year which started probably after the first year, which sucks anywhere!
peelman

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby peelman - August 17th, 2016, 3:50 pm

peelman wrote:I'll take my 2011 in for the rear passenger patch panel repair at Fords bodyshop $900. Also sent off an email to Ford Canada and received the standard reply of Sorry about your problem. We'll work with your dealership to find a resolution, but really you're SOL. This is my 4th new Ford vehicle and 2nd escape, never had a vehicle rust out in 5 years.

Well, started the conversation with Ford Canada re the rusted quarter panel back in May and today was told by the FSM that after exhausting all avenues in her quest to find a fair judgement, She said Ford gave me a big FU!. Get the car fixed keep the receipt and if Ford decides that this is a real problem they may issue a customer goodwill assistance program... :horse:
peelman

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby thesavo - September 2nd, 2016, 11:16 pm

I'm pist. My wife and I bought the extended warranty in 2010 for our MY 2008 MARINER. The wheel wells are as rusty as a Taurus. The dealerships said nothing over the years. We brought it in last year for a look over by the dealer before the warranty expired.

Now I know why they said nothing, my model year isn't included.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby Larry LGT 165 - November 24th, 2016, 9:19 pm

MadMax wrote:
If left unchecked it can get real bad. The good news is if you get down on your hands and knees and give the wheel wells a good look see it's pretty easy to spot. Check the tailgate as well, another rust-prone area

Thanks Max, I have seen other vehicles where the front towers have rusted right thru, from moisture trapped between the multiple layers of thin metal that were impossible to undercoat, so reading about issues on the escape concerned me.

My '06 Ranger has been undercoated 3 times over the years and shows no sign of rust despite our heavy roadsalt usage here in Ontario.

We are retired and only put on about 10k / 6000 miles a year so probably will end up finding something in the 150,000k /90,000 mile range.

All vehicles have areas of concern, that is a given. How would you personally rate a used '09 to '12 E overall as a potential purchase?

Thanks again, Larry[/quote]

The closer to '12 you get the better the Escapes get. By the time the 2012 came out Ford pretty much got it all sorted out and they are among the best :thumb:[/quote]

Thanks, took your advice and spent several months looking specifically for a good 2012. Just picked up a silver 03/2012 with 100KM / 62,000 miles. Basic 3.0L XLT, nothing fancy, just cloth interior. In service 04/2012

So far, no sign of rust around the wheel wells and the lip of the tailgate and hood are pretty clean too, but unfortunately never undercoated when new. All the same I'm really pleased with it, in spite of the fact I had to let my '06 Ranger PU go.

First thing I did was take it in and have it KROWN RUSTCHECK sprayed. Counted at least 10 drilling plugs where they sprayed inside the panels. I wiped the door seals down with silicone in advance and have had to wipe off the excess drip several times. Small price to pay if it slows the rusting down. $129 CDN and I will be doing it every year in the fall.
Larry LGT 165

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Previous

Return to Recalls and TSBs