TSB 15-0157, Rear Wheel Well Rust/Corrosion, 09-12 Escape

Official Ford recalls and TSBs!

TSB 15-0157, Rear Wheel Well Rust/Corrosion, 09-12 Escape

Postby tang - November 27th, 2015, 11:56 pm

Yes, Ford released a TSB for a vehicle whose standard three-year bumper-to-bumper warranty would have cleared at least six months ago.

Here's the top of the first page.

TSB 15-0157
REAR QUARTER PANEL WHEEL WELL LIP CORROSION AND/OR PERFORATION

FORD: 2009-2012 Escape
MERCURY: 2009-2011 Mariner, Mariner Hybrid
ISSUE: Some 2009-2012 Escape and 2009-2011 Mariner vehicles may exhibit rear quarter panel(s) with corrosion and/or
perforation around the wheel well lip area.

I don't know why the 2008 model year was excluded.

I am checking with my dealership to see if my seven-year ESP will cover this TSB as my (previous) Escape started developing rust earlier this year, and the extended warranty expires 2/2016 (the vehicle is a MY 2009). I've watched Ford's summary video of the repair (on a resource specific to Ford employees and service programs), and it looks like it would be a solid two-day process from start to finish, including the repaint process.

If my dealership gives me the OK for getting this done on my Escape, I'll release the remainder of the TSB.

PM with wheel questions.
past: 09 Escape XLT V6 AWD
present: 15 Taurus SEL AWD
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Re: TSB 15-0157, Rear Wheel Well Rust/Corrosion, 09-12 Escap

Postby FRENCHY - November 28th, 2015, 8:49 am

That's not fair, I think that they just doing this to protect themself for future lawsuit or class action, they have to address a proper recall on this - come on Ford.
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby MadMax - November 28th, 2015, 9:39 am

Unless you bought the extended warranty this is meaningless and just identifies the issue. I'd also be leery of "perforated" which means rusted all the way through, which few are
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby tang - November 29th, 2015, 4:56 pm

There are four repair kits. Two for each side, one inner and outer for each side.

There's probably a guideline on what gets called as a recall versus a major inconvenience. I get that the rust eventually leads to rear suspension poking through the rear cargo hold, but it's not an axle snapping or an air bag with metal shrapnel...

PM with wheel questions.
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16

Postby MadMax - November 29th, 2015, 6:44 pm

tang wrote:There are four repair kits. Two for each side, one inner and outer for each side.

There's probably a guideline on what gets called as a recall versus a major inconvenience. I get that the rust eventually leads to rear suspension poking through the rear cargo hold, but it's not an axle snapping or an air bag with metal shrapnel...

Where do you get "recall"? This is a TSB which is an acknowledgement by Ford that an issue exists and how to go about servicing the issue...

... Then hand you the bill. Nothing about this TSB indicating it's part of a recall
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby frospike38 - November 30th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Just had both my rear wheel wells repaired on my 08. 1 side was rusted trough and the other was starting to bubble my paint. Ended up paying $350 out the door with a local shop. 1 shop didn't want to even touch my E and suggested I just sell it ASAP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
frospike38

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby tang - November 30th, 2015, 4:55 pm

MadMax wrote:
tang wrote:There are four repair kits. Two for each side, one inner and outer for each side.

Where do you get "recall"? This is a TSB which is an acknowledgement by Ford that an issue exists and how to go about servicing the issue...

... Then hand you the bill. Nothing about this TSB indicating it's part of a recall

I was addressing Frenchy's concern that this should be considered a recall, not just a TSB.

PM with wheel questions.
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16

Postby MadMax - November 30th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Sorry, but they'll never recall Es because of rust. Unless it becomes like a Windstar problem >:(

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby FRENCHY - December 11th, 2015, 8:46 am

I'm at my dealer right now, I ask for this TSB , nothing show on OASIS for my E :shrug:

But they are aware and nothing can be done even if you have the ESP :bang:
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby tang - December 11th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Confirmed... my dealer says this isn't covered by the ESP.

So it's likely released to prevent some sort of lawsuit... that's my guess, anyway.

At least there's a partial body repair as opposed to forcing a full repair on the whole panel.

PM with wheel questions.
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16

Next

Return to Recalls and TSBs