Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2013 Escape Recall - 1.6L EcoBoost Equipped Vehicles Only

87K views 225 replies 62 participants last post by  Robiconjk 
#1 ·
[mod]Friday, November 30, 2012
From the official release:

Ford Motor Company issued a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine. Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.

Official Ford Press Release
[/mod]

Ford has identified an issue in the 1.6L 2013 Escapes that could cause a fire. Ford Motor Company is advising owners not to drive the vehicles, even to the dealer, until the repairs have been made. Owners will be issued a loaner car until repairs are completed.

From Ford's press release:

DEARBORN, Mich., July 19, 2012 - Ford Motor Company today announced a voluntary safety recall of 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine built through July 11, 2012. Ford estimates that there have been approximately 11,500 of these vehicles produced and distributed for sale in North America, with most in the U.S. market.

Ford is voluntarily recalling Escapes with 1.6-liter engines to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. No injuries have been reported. The issue does not affect other 2013 Escape models. The condition also does not present itself in vehicles when the engine is not running.

As an additional safety precaution, customers who already own 2013 Escape vehicles with the 1.6-liter engine are being advised to stop driving their vehicles and to immediately contact their dealers. Dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to these customers and will transport their 2013 Escape to the dealership for the necessary repairs. The company is working to make parts available as quickly as possible and customers will keep the loaner vehicle at no charge until the repairs on their vehicle are completed.

The company's dealers will stop delivering or conducting demonstration drives of these vehicles so that proper steps can be taken to remedy the issue at the dealership first.

"We have identified an issue and are taking quick actions in the best interest of our customers," said Ray Nevi, assistant director, Ford Automotive Safety Office. "Our intensive investigation and testing has identified the area of concern and we are moving as quickly as possible to repair vehicles for our customers. In the meantime, it is extremely important that affected customers not ignore this recall and immediately contact their dealer."

The repairs are straightforward and should take dealers less than an hour to complete, pending parts availability. If affected customers quickly take action and contact their dealers as advised, all vehicles can be remedied in less than two weeks.

Customers may get further information about these and other recalls at http://www.fordowner.com or they may contact Ford's Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332

#2 ·
Wow! Sounds pretty serious...Glad they are taking the necessary steps to correct it.

#3 ·
[mod]Temporary escalation into sticky thread until further notice.

Thread relocated into Recalls section.[/mod]

[mod]Friday, November 30, 2012
From the official release:

Ford Motor Company issued a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine. Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.

Official Ford Press Release
[/mod]

#4 ·
Ford Motor Co. is telling owners of one version of the brand-new Ford Escape not to drive the SUVs until dealers can fix fuel lines that can crack and spill gasoline, causing engine fires.

The company issued the unusual warning on Thursday and said it is recalling 2013 Escapes equipped with 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines. Dealers will pick up the Escapes and drop off a loaner car that customers can use until the repairs are finished. The company is hoping to ship parts and get all the SUVs repaired in the next two weeks.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ford-escappe-warning-20120719,0,2830820.story

[mod]Merged related/similar posts.[/mod]

#6 ·
Took my truck in today for the hatch and called them about this a minute ago.. They basically said that I cant take my truck home today and they are going to give me a rental. They have to order the parts.. This blows, I was looking forward to showing off my shiny new vehicle at my family reunion tomorrow. =/

Better safe than sorry I guess

#7 ·
Unfortunate start to the roll-out of this new vehicle, but the aggressive stance by Ford will certainly help out in the public relations arena. We remember how long it took Toyota to act on the 'sudden acceleration' issues...

#9 ·
ShapeGSX said:
Danno, what is up with the hatch on your 2013 Escape?

Mine is slightly misaligned. The right hand side of it sits lower than the left. But the latch still works fine.

Guess I'll be calling up Ford today.
Its slightly misalligned and Sometimes the left side will pop out after it "Latches" on

The video isnt the best but you can hear it pop out if you listen to it.

It doesnt happen all the time but from the other thread it sounds like I wasnt the only one who seen that. Its at the shop today for it and hopefully they can figure it out. It hasnt happened in a few days so im probably going to get the "Well we looked at it and tested it many times and it looks fine so deal with it" heh

Then I called about the recall and they are like ya.. we are going to have to set you up with a loaner.

#12 ·
Update: Ford just called me about the vehicle. They cant let me have it back so they are setting me up with a sedan.. Unbelievable. The guy says they only have 36$/day for rentals so dont expect anything fancy. The parts and everything can take up to 2 weeks to even come in...

What a distater. I have a family picnic tomorrow that I was looking forward to and next weekend the woman and I are going on a small vacation.. All in a rental sedan.. This really pisses me off. I guess the alternate is having the car set itself on fire. The worst part is that they couldnt put me in the same size vehicle as the one being recalled. (Enterprise apparently doesnt have any SUV's in stock) I have a lot of hockey equipment and Golf bags that I need to be able to fit into this car. I made that very clear to them.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

#13 ·
This will not help sales at all. Promote a new vehicle for over a year, delay the unveil, then 2 recalls in a week??? :rant: :rant: :mad:

#14 ·
I hope this isn't indicitive of things to come and that they didn't rush this into production too early

Thumbs up to Ford for actioning this immediately though :thumb:

#15 ·
Danno said:
What a distater. I have a family picnic tomorrow that I was looking forward to and next weekend the woman and I are going on a small vacation.. All in a rental sedan.. This really pisses me off. I guess the alternate is having the car set itself on fire. The worst part is that they couldnt put me in the same size vehicle as the one being recalled. (Enterprise apparently doesnt have any SUV's in stock) I have a lot of hockey equipment and Golf bags that I need to be able to fit into this car. I made that very clear to them.

What are the chances that you could pay the difference for a larger vehicle?

#16 ·
Tang said:
Danno said:

Im not really sure. Im checkin enterprises website and they do infact have SUVs at the location im picking my car up from. They are 73 bucks a day and thats rediculous. But There arent any vehicles here that are 36 bucks a day and thats what the Ford guy said their budget was. Its just unbelievable. What if it was an f150 and I have a contruction job.. lol

#18 ·
Danno said:
Im not really sure. Im checkin enterprises website and they do infact have SUVs at the location im picking my car up from. They are 73 bucks a day and thats rediculous. But There arent any vehicles here that are 36 bucks a day and thats what the Ford guy said their budget was. Its just unbelievable. What if it was an f150 and I have a contruction job.. lol
You probably wouldn't have to deal with such a recall. Trucks are in a tried-and-true formula. The SUV/CUV market changes faster than anything else out there to adapt to a changing market interest. People who buy trucks get trucks and know what to expect. Manufacturers that make them know what not to mess with.

#19 ·
Danno said:
Tang said:
Danno said:

They have cars available in their own demo fleet - most managers drive Edges and Escapes. Make it clear to the service manager how you feel - respectfully of course - and you may be surprised. If he gives you nothing, go to the dealership General Manager.

Ford may only give you a Fiesta to drive, but my bets are they will still take out the Escape's car payment from your bank account while it is held up :) I am sure the policy has not changed, but Ford is also the only manufacturer that will not supply you with a rental other than a Ford. They simply will not pay for a Chevy, Toyota, etc. It is a crap policy - you OWN the Ford, you CHOSE the Ford....but you need a vehicle that is at least similar to the one that is laid up.

I can assure you that in my days with Honda and VW, we preferred our own brand but would supply the customer with an equivalent vehicle if needed. Many Accord owners drove off in Malibus and Grand Ams (and were always more thankful when their own cars were returned to them).

#20 ·
Bwk2000 said:
I hope this isn't indicitive of things to come and that they didn't rush this into production too early
Hopefully this will be the end of the recalls for a while. Anyone else remember when the Escapes first came to the market & there were several recalls of the 2001 Escapes? It was a reall black eye for Ford at time when things were getting pretty bad for them already.

#21 ·
NY Yankee Pride said:
Bwk2000 said:
Hopefully this will be the end of the recalls for a while. Anyone else remember when the Escapes first came to the market & there were several recalls of the 2001 Escapes? It was a reall black eye for Ford at time when things were getting pretty bad for them already.
Oh, you bet your... butt... it will be. I can only imagine the chairs Alan Mulally threw last night. I mean, seriously, some supplier's going to lose their behind for this one. I can just see one CEO in Dearborn screaming, "You just <explicative> up our entire vehicle launch!"

Screw the modern-era Ford once... you won't live to screw 'em twice. That much, I promise you.

#22 ·
Stuff happens with new models but sorry, there is no excuse for this one. Carmakers (supposedly) do tens of thousands of test miles under extreme conditions to catch this stuff. Even then they can't catch everything, but to have something major show up on cars only months/weeks old is inexcusable. Makes you wonder what problems are going to surface when these cars are several years old.

#23 ·
I've been informed that this recall is due to an INSTALLATION/FACTORY error and not a PART/SUPPLIER error.

Two fires at the factory and one during a test drive does not equal "something overlooked during testing and development".

#24 ·
Tang said:
I've been informed that this recall is due to an INSTALLATION/FACTORY error and not a PART/SUPPLIER error.

Two fires at the factory and one during a test drive does not equal "something overlooked during testing and development".
Testing of assembly is part of preproduction testing. They make hundreds of preproduction copies that never get a VIN number or get sold. The process to start a line takes months to make sure the cars that start coming off it are right. This is the sort of thing their verification process should have been looking for (extra attention to safety related systems, which includes fuel).

I agree chairs (and some heavier things) would be, and still are flying.

#25 ·
Dadof5 said:
Testing of assembly is part of preproduction testing. They make hundreds of preproduction copies that never get a VIN number or get sold. The process to start a line takes months to make sure the cars that start coming off it are right. This is the sort of thing their verification process should have been looking for (extra attention to safety related systems, which includes fuel).

I agree chairs (and some heavier things) would be, and still are flying.
Have you looked to see how many vehicles were produced vs. how many are sold? It's like 4:1...

And for all we know, someone installing the lines could've been having a bad day. It's not mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.