2013 Escape Recall - 1.6L EcoBoost Equipped Vehicles Only

Official Ford recalls and TSBs!

2013 Escape Recall - 1.6L EcoBoost Equipped Vehicles Only

Postby Domain - July 19th, 2012, 9:32 am

!
Moderator Message:
Friday, November 30, 2012
From the official release:

Ford Motor Company issued a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine. Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.

Official Ford Press Release

Ford has identified an issue in the 1.6L 2013 Escapes that could cause a fire. Ford Motor Company is advising owners not to drive the vehicles, even to the dealer, until the repairs have been made. Owners will be issued a loaner car until repairs are completed.

From Ford's press release:

DEARBORN, Mich., July 19, 2012 – Ford Motor Company today announced a voluntary safety recall of 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine built through July 11, 2012. Ford estimates that there have been approximately 11,500 of these vehicles produced and distributed for sale in North America, with most in the U.S. market.

Ford is voluntarily recalling Escapes with 1.6-liter engines to replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. No injuries have been reported. The issue does not affect other 2013 Escape models. The condition also does not present itself in vehicles when the engine is not running.

As an additional safety precaution, customers who already own 2013 Escape vehicles with the 1.6-liter engine are being advised to stop driving their vehicles and to immediately contact their dealers. Dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to these customers and will transport their 2013 Escape to the dealership for the necessary repairs. The company is working to make parts available as quickly as possible and customers will keep the loaner vehicle at no charge until the repairs on their vehicle are completed.

The company’s dealers will stop delivering or conducting demonstration drives of these vehicles so that proper steps can be taken to remedy the issue at the dealership first.

"We have identified an issue and are taking quick actions in the best interest of our customers,” said Ray Nevi, assistant director, Ford Automotive Safety Office. “Our intensive investigation and testing has identified the area of concern and we are moving as quickly as possible to repair vehicles for our customers. In the meantime, it is extremely important that affected customers not ignore this recall and immediately contact their dealer."

The repairs are straightforward and should take dealers less than an hour to complete, pending parts availability. If affected customers quickly take action and contact their dealers as advised, all vehicles can be remedied in less than two weeks.

Customers may get further information about these and other recalls at http://www.fordowner.com or they may contact Ford's Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332
Last edited by Domain on July 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domain

Current: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Prior Fleet:
2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD (now in Ohio)
2008 Ford Fusion SE AWD (total loss at hands of second owner)
2011 Ford Escape XLT AWD (sold, hopefully to a good home locally)
2013 Ford Taurus SEL FWD (sold, hopefully to a good home locally)

Fleet not owned, but cared for:

2010 Ford Escape XLT AWD (3.0L)

30 NY Counties - 3 States/Provinces - 2 Countries - 1 Escape

Need to pull more than just OBD Data? See this thread.
Thinking of putting HID's in your reflector headlamps? STOP! Read this first.
Is your vehicle under a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury recall? Check here.
Domain
First poster on E-C's THIRD new server

E-C LEVEL 7
Location: The Land of Snow, more commonly known as Buffalo, New York
My vehicle: 2017 Explorer Limited 4x4 2.3L
My vehicle's name: Natasha

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2013 Escape Recall - 1.6L EcoBoost Equipped Vehicles Onl

Postby The Terminator - July 19th, 2012, 9:36 am

Wow! Sounds pretty serious...Glad they are taking the necessary steps to correct it.
2012 Escape XLT with the Sport Appearance Package, 2.5L I4, 6AT, 4x4 (Stirling Grey) recieved feb.28 2012
2005 Escape XLS, 2.3L I4, 5-speed (Black)
2003 SVT Cobra, Kenne Bell powered 643RWHP (Dark Shadow Grey)
1983 Mustang GT, T-Top, Built 351W (BLack on black)
The Terminator

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby tang - July 19th, 2012, 10:40 am

!
Moderator Message:
Temporary escalation into sticky thread until further notice.

Thread relocated into Recalls section.

!
Moderator Message:
Friday, November 30, 2012
From the official release:

Ford Motor Company issued a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine. Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.

Official Ford Press Release

PM with wheel questions.
past: 09 Escape XLT V6 AWD
present: 15 Taurus SEL AWD
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Another 2013 Escape Recall: 1.6L fire hazard

Postby JoeIndy - July 19th, 2012, 11:25 am

Ford Motor Co. is telling owners of one version of the brand-new Ford Escape not to drive the SUVs until dealers can fix fuel lines that can crack and spill gasoline, causing engine fires.

The company issued the unusual warning on Thursday and said it is recalling 2013 Escapes equipped with 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines. Dealers will pick up the Escapes and drop off a loaner car that customers can use until the repairs are finished. The company is hoping to ship parts and get all the SUVs repaired in the next two weeks.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ford-escappe-warning-20120719,0,2830820.story

!
Moderator Message:
Merged related/similar posts.
JoeIndy

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD

2013 Escape 2nd Recall, 1.6L Ecoboost

Postby jay_esc - July 19th, 2012, 11:47 am

I just came across this while surfing around. It looks like there is another recall on the 2013 Escapes. This one just affects the 1.6L Ecoboost, but sounds more serious. Ford is recommending you don't drive the vehicle until it is fixed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/19/2013 ... this-week/

!
Moderator Message:
Merged related/similar posts.
jay_esc

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape XLT 4x4

Postby Danno - July 19th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Took my truck in today for the hatch and called them about this a minute ago.. They basically said that I cant take my truck home today and they are going to give me a rental. They have to order the parts.. This blows, I was looking forward to showing off my shiny new vehicle at my family reunion tomorrow. =/

Better safe than sorry I guess
2013 Escape SEL Pictures
Danno

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2013 Ford Escape SEL

Postby 10kpharo - July 19th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Unfortunate start to the roll-out of this new vehicle, but the aggressive stance by Ford will certainly help out in the public relations arena. We remember how long it took Toyota to act on the 'sudden acceleration' issues...
"The only true nation is Humanity"

1948 Ford 8N tractor
1955 Austin A30 Countryman Estate
1964 Motobecane Mobylette Type AV88 moped
2007 Ford F150 XL long bed, RWD
2007 VW New Beetle convertible
2012 Honda Fit Sport
2016 Hyundai Elantra GT
10kpharo
Ultimate Buffalo Bandits Fan

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Thor
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT FWD 2.5l 4cyl
My vehicle's name: Ubiquitous

Postby ShapeGSX - July 19th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Danno, what is up with the hatch on your 2013 Escape?

Mine is slightly misaligned. The right hand side of it sits lower than the left. But the latch still works fine.

Guess I'll be calling up Ford today.
ShapeGSX

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L AWD

Postby Danno - July 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm

ShapeGSX wrote:Danno, what is up with the hatch on your 2013 Escape?

Mine is slightly misaligned. The right hand side of it sits lower than the left. But the latch still works fine.

Guess I'll be calling up Ford today.

Its slightly misalligned and Sometimes the left side will pop out after it "Latches" on

The video isnt the best but you can hear it pop out if you listen to it.

It doesnt happen all the time but from the other thread it sounds like I wasnt the only one who seen that. Its at the shop today for it and hopefully they can figure it out. It hasnt happened in a few days so im probably going to get the "Well we looked at it and tested it many times and it looks fine so deal with it" heh

Then I called about the recall and they are like ya.. we are going to have to set you up with a loaner.
2013 Escape SEL Pictures
Danno

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2013 Ford Escape SEL

Ford recalls 2013 Escapes; engines can catch fire

Postby Wiley430 - July 19th, 2012, 2:02 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/ford-recalls-2013 ... nance.html

!
Moderator Message:
Yet another topic merged.
Wiley430