05 Escape camping rig

Post your pictures here!

05 Escape camping rig

Postby Half Assed - May 6th, 2016, 12:14 am

Bought this 05 Escape for $1800 to take on a big road trip across the western US.

This rusty turd got terrible gas mileage and would have been annoying to camp out of so I sold it:

99 maxima that drank 91 octane and only got 20 mpg.

So the escape is an '05 2.3 with the 5 speed manual. :thumb: Dents and scratches in every body panel, but the interior wasn't completely trashed and it was still young with 141k miles.

Got rid of the stupid step bars and transferred my Jensen VX7020 over from the maxipad.

Took some cutting, but the double din fit great.

Removed the old crappy vatozone tint and replaced the cracked rear bumper cover with one from an 01-04. It doesn't fit quite right, but it fits good enough and looks better than the old one.

I also replaced the plugs and fuel filter with new motorcraft parts. :yes:
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 05 Escape 2.3/5spd

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 05 Escape camping rig

Postby Half Assed - May 6th, 2016, 12:24 am

Interior stripped and degreased for the sleeping platform I'm building.

The spot for the hybrid battery pack was completely wasted on the non-hybrid models. :lol: I think my AR15s will fit in there though. :D

Just barely 6ft of space with the pass seat all the way forward.

I built a 30x38" drawer underneath.

Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Half Assed - May 6th, 2016, 12:37 am

I attempted to fix 1 of the broken lug studs on the right front hub. I discovered it could use some new brakes so I ordered some rotors and semi-metallic pads from advance for $65. Used a $40 off $100 coupon (code TRT41 :thumb: ). I could only find one stud locally though, and I ended up shredding it on install...oh well. 4 out of 5 ain't bad lol. Still a B- right?

I got a bug shield on egay for $35. I always liked the look of them even though I think they don't do diddly squat to deflect bugs. :lol: But it did cover up a huge dent in the hood! I picked up window shades for sleeping in the car too. I dunno if it will be enough airflow though.

I had the windows professional tinted with Llumar 30% up front and 15% out back. I also mounted up a Thule carrier I borrowed from my uncle.

Just a few more little things and then I'll be heading out next week. :D I've only put 1 tank of gas through this car so far. :doh: It feels pretty sturdy though. I hope it will last 15,000 miles without a major hitch until I'm back home. :yes:

My plan is to buy a national park season pass and hit as many as possible before I run out of money. :rockon:
Last edited by Half Assed on May 6th, 2016, 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Half Assed - May 6th, 2016, 12:43 am

Some of the things I want to do before I left, but I decided to save the money on was paint it OD green or desert tan with these wheels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331848202220

and maybe adding a cheesy brush guard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120988499586

I think it would look pretty tough for a glorified ford focus. :lol: I might get around to these when I return. :yes:
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Escape94 - May 6th, 2016, 10:27 am

Good luck with it! Guess you won't be going anywhere where 4x4 will be needed? Post pictures of your trip also.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby Half Assed - May 6th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Escape94 wrote:Good luck with it! Guess you won't be going anywhere where 4x4 will be needed? Post pictures of your trip also.

I'm going to try to get off the pavement a little bit. I know this car will be limited, but I've been 4-wheeling for many years and I know when to keep myself out of trouble. I will be bringing a couple tow straps just to be prepared though. :yes:
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Charles - May 6th, 2016, 6:39 pm

I agree with others about posting pics during your trip if possible.

You are doing all the right things in my opinion. I am doing the same thing with my used Class A motorcoach. I started going through all the mechanical systems and making sure they are good. :yes:

Enjoy your trip. :thumb:

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby nickmescape - May 17th, 2016, 1:23 pm

looks excellent compared to what you started with :thumb: :thumb:
2003 Escape XLT 4X4 No Boundaries

Mods:AVS BugflectorII, stubby antenna, Pioneer DEH-X6500BT head unit, Smoked taillights, Robs taillight trim,AVS window shields, 1 inch wheel spacers, custom grill, painted interior trim, Westin bull bar, 14" light bar in the grill, basket mounted shovel,fire extinguisher, FCK L.E.D pods, 42" curved light bar, 15x7 Method Racing wheels with 235/75r/1 BFG KO2s
nickmescape

E-C LEVEL 5
Congratulations on reaching 750 posts!
My nickname: Nick
My vehicle: 2003 XLT 4x4 No Boundaries
My vehicle's name: The E

Postby Half Assed - May 17th, 2016, 7:02 pm

2500 miles so far, the escape is working great. It's getting between 24-28mpg.

This is from Big Bend NP in southwest Texas just off a trail that follows the rio grande river.
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Half Assed - May 21st, 2016, 6:43 pm

So, I thought the oil dipstick was just *s****, but this thing is actually burning a ton of oil. 5 quarts so far in about 3000 miles.

I changed it before I left and I put 4.5 quarts in, but I had trouble reading the stick with the fresh oil. I checked it again in Alabama and I had nothing on the stick so I put a quart in. Still nothing on the stick. It's not leaking a drop and I didn't see any smoke so I kept driving.

That's until I was going up some mountains in Tucson, AZ and the oil light came on going around a tight bend. Ruh-roh! I dumped the rest of the 5qt jug I had in it.

Is this generally considered to be a pcv/pcv hose problem? The car runs great besides and doesn't overheat so I don't think the headgasket is bad.

At least I made it to my grandparent's house so I might be able to replace the pcv while I'm here, but I don't want to keep driving and putting oil in it and kill the catalytic converter.
Bored & Broke.
Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 2

Next

Return to Pictures