Show your Tow Rig!

Post your pictures here!

Re: Show your Tow Rig!

Postby Jeff88 - May 8th, 2013, 3:38 am

Rascie wrote:We tow a boat which weighs over 2000 lbs! If you have any questions lemme know

I know that factory spec numbers are always conservative, but 2000 lbs is capable on the Hybrid even though it is only rated for 1500? (obviously with a class III hitch, not a class II.)
Jeff88

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Jeff

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby Rascie - May 8th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Jeff88 wrote:
Rascie wrote:We tow a boat which weighs over 2000 lbs! If you have any questions lemme know

I know that factory spec numbers are always conservative, but 2000 lbs is capable on the Hybrid even though it is only rated for 1500? (obviously with a class III hitch, not a class II.)

From my understanding by talking to dealers and Ford is that the towing capabilities are limited because of the reverse gear. Reverse is in electric only, so obviously they do not want you to back more than 1000 lbs backwards up a hill. Therefore, it is not a matter of the vehicles size and handling which differs between Hybrid and the normal escape, it is strictly power. I can totally understand, for obvious reasons, why Ford wouldn't want to 'Guarantee' the Hybrid to tow more than 1000 lbs. Tow ratings literally mean that your vehicle can tow 1000 lbs at any grade for any amount of time in even the hottest of weather without stopping, without damaging anything. We only tow our boat a few city blocks to the ramp once a year, where it stays. In our situation, the escape serves perfectly adequate for this minor task - and we don't put any stress on the vehicle. :)
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD
Morimoto Mini H1 HID Projector Headlights
Curt Class III Hitch
Rascie

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD

Postby Jeff88 - May 8th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Rascie wrote:From my understanding by talking to dealers and Ford is that the towing capabilities are limited because of the reverse gear. Reverse is in electric only, so obviously they do not want you to back more than 1000 lbs backwards up a hill. Therefore, it is not a matter of the vehicles size and handling which differs between Hybrid and the normal escape, it is strictly power. I can totally understand, for obvious reasons, why Ford wouldn't want to 'Guarantee' the Hybrid to tow more than 1000 lbs. Tow ratings literally mean that your vehicle can tow 1000 lbs at any grade for any amount of time in even the hottest of weather without stopping, without damaging anything. We only tow our boat a few city blocks to the ramp once a year, where it stays. In our situation, the escape serves perfectly adequate for this minor task - and we don't put any stress on the vehicle. :)

OK, thanks for the clarification. So if I don't plan on going backwards while towing, I can carry a larger load. (: I'm guessing still not at the load rating of a non-hybrid model, since they have more HP and the Otto engine?
As a side note, I wonder if there is a way to make a switch/button to force the engine on in reverse, then turn s/b off for normal use.
Jeff88

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Rascie - May 8th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Jeff88 wrote:
Rascie wrote:From my understanding by talking to dealers and Ford is that the towing capabilities are limited because of the reverse gear. Reverse is in electric only, so obviously they do not want you to back more than 1000 lbs backwards up a hill. Therefore, it is not a matter of the vehicles size and handling which differs between Hybrid and the normal escape, it is strictly power. I can totally understand, for obvious reasons, why Ford wouldn't want to 'Guarantee' the Hybrid to tow more than 1000 lbs. Tow ratings literally mean that your vehicle can tow 1000 lbs at any grade for any amount of time in even the hottest of weather without stopping, without damaging anything. We only tow our boat a few city blocks to the ramp once a year, where it stays. In our situation, the escape serves perfectly adequate for this minor task - and we don't put any stress on the vehicle. :)

OK, thanks for the clarification. So if I don't plan on going backwards while towing, I can carry a larger load. (: I'm guessing still not at the load rating of a non-hybrid model, since they have more HP and the Otto engine?
As a side note, I wonder if there is a way to make a switch/button to force the engine on in reverse, then turn s/b off for normal use.

No worries. As the Hybrid is only rated at 1000 lbs towing capacity, if you choose to tow over that amount, your warranty will not cover something related to the towing if you blow something up. If your warranty is already outdated, then doesn't really make much difference does it? We choose to tow more, and know the risk. There is no way of the engine powering you in reverse, as there is literally no reverse gear for the gasoline engine.
Curt Class III Hitch
Rascie

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby stanger - May 9th, 2013, 12:48 am

My factory hitch is 350lb tongue weight and 3500lb total weight with the 1 1/4in receiver and the reason I know the numbers for it cuz it says it right on top of the receiver
02 Ford Escape XLT v6 4x4
11 Ford Escape Limited v6 awd
72 Ford F100 390 4x4 lifted
stanger

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 02 e 3.0 4x4,11 e Limited AWD

Postby esmith2039 - May 9th, 2013, 10:52 am

We got our Hidden Hitch Class III receiver from etrailer.com and it has a 500/5000 ratings. But keep in mind 350/3500 is the factory rating. Although I've did a variety of weights over 3500 due to the already poor brakes on the Escape if the trailer brakes were to fail it wouldn't be wise on a regular basis.. but hey there's always Chevy's broke down on the side of the road that could be used as stopping devices :lol: . Gas mileage varies the lowest with the heaviest weight was 14-15 normal is 18-19 and without the trailer is 22-25. So it does cost some but that's still better than the F150.
esmith2039

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jeff88 - May 9th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Rascie wrote:There is no way of the engine powering you in reverse, as there is literally no reverse gear for the gasoline engine.

Is that because CVT transmissions cannot go in reverse or is that a Ford design?
Jeff88

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Rascie - May 9th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Jeff88 wrote:
Rascie wrote:There is no way of the engine powering you in reverse, as there is literally no reverse gear for the gasoline engine.

Is that because CVT transmissions cannot go in reverse or is that a Ford design?

To be honest with ya, I have no idea!! All I know is the CVT is running on a belt system, and since it never changes gears... it may not be able to go in reverse? Or else Ford just chose not to bother with the extra cost, as the electric was sufficient for reverse.
Curt Class III Hitch
Rascie

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Rascie - June 26th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Put our boat in about a month ago. Spent 3 full days detailing it for the spring. Waxed everything... even the trailer!

Curt Class III Hitch
Rascie

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby ski4life2008 - July 14th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Heres my fishing boat I picked up a few months ago :)
ski4life2008

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT 4x4

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures