Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Show your Tow Rig!

17K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start the thread with a picture of our 09' FE Hybrid towing our 18' boat! Just bought the boat last year. Many of you must tow with your Escape.... show us some pics of what you tow! :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Jeff88 said:
How many pounds are you guys pulling?
Our FEH is rated at only 1000 pounds towing capacity, because reverse is only in electric. Otherwise, it is all the same as the regular escape. Our boat and trailer weighs over 2000 pounds... and we only have to tow it to the lake twice a year, as we have our own boat lift on the water. It seems to handle it just fine, you can actually barely tell its back there!

#6 ·
I use my 2010 to pull my sleds. This is my 2004 Polaris RMK 700 VE and my buddy's 2004 Ski-Doo Summit Adrenaline, which he recently traded for a '13 Summit SP. The second picture is pulling my school's electric sled we use to compete in the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge.

#7 ·
Normal.. per the weight scale the max I've had was around 2750. No trailer brakes make it bit iffy.

I almost prefer to pull this trailer. Seems easier to pull even though heavier. The trailer brakes work like a charm. Second pic it wasn't overheating but was about 105 that day... yeah it was a bit too heavy.

#8 ·
BUMP!!!

im glad you guys made this thread, I've been nervous about getting a hitch and towing a 2002 Honda foreman 450, but this seems like an easy task compared to some of the stuff you guys have been towing. How big of a mpg hit did you notice?

#9 ·
I was also thinking of buying a hitch for my E. Now I'm not so good with this automotive stuff so I was just wondering, did you guys put in your own or using the O.E. one? Also, if I was to tow a trailer with a quad or snowmobile which one would you recommend getting, do some hitches have different tow ratings? (is that such a thing?)

#10 ·
money_man said:
BUMP!!!

im glad you guys made this thread, I've been nervous about getting a hitch and towing a 2002 Honda foreman 450, but this seems like an easy task compared to some of the stuff you guys have been towing. How big of a mpg hit did you notice?
MPG definitely decreases. As to be expected in any vehicle while towing... just go slower than usual and don't try to accelerate as quickly as everyone else. It'll save you gas in the end!

slkenda said:
I was also thinking of buying a hitch for my E. Now I'm not so good with this automotive stuff so I was just wondering, did you guys put in your own or using the O.E. one? Also, if I was to tow a trailer with a quad or snowmobile which one would you recommend getting, do some hitches have different tow ratings? (is that such a thing?)
The hitch on our E Hybrid was installed at a local hitch dealer. There is a 'Class II' and 'Class III' hitch typically. The hitch which the Escape comes with from factory, if the trailer package was opted for, is the Class II, which is a smaller diameter tubing and has essentially a lower tongue weight (the weight pushing down directly on the hitch ball). If just towing an ATV, depending on the weight, it is up to you whether you want a Class II or Class III. We paid a little extra and had a Curt (best hitch brand, by far) Class III hitch put on our E because it just made more sense. Though it wasn't technically necessary, bigger is always better. We tow a boat which weighs over 2000 lbs! If you have any questions lemme know Slkenda :peace:

#12 ·
Jeff88 said:
Rascie said:
We tow a boat which weighs over 2000 lbs! If you have any questions lemme know
I know that factory spec numbers are always conservative, but 2000 lbs is capable on the Hybrid even though it is only rated for 1500? (obviously with a class III hitch, not a class II.)
From my understanding by talking to dealers and Ford is that the towing capabilities are limited because of the reverse gear. Reverse is in electric only, so obviously they do not want you to back more than 1000 lbs backwards up a hill. Therefore, it is not a matter of the vehicles size and handling which differs between Hybrid and the normal escape, it is strictly power. I can totally understand, for obvious reasons, why Ford wouldn't want to 'Guarantee' the Hybrid to tow more than 1000 lbs. Tow ratings literally mean that your vehicle can tow 1000 lbs at any grade for any amount of time in even the hottest of weather without stopping, without damaging anything. We only tow our boat a few city blocks to the ramp once a year, where it stays. In our situation, the escape serves perfectly adequate for this minor task - and we don't put any stress on the vehicle. :)

#13 ·
Rascie said:
From my understanding by talking to dealers and Ford is that the towing capabilities are limited because of the reverse gear. Reverse is in electric only, so obviously they do not want you to back more than 1000 lbs backwards up a hill. Therefore, it is not a matter of the vehicles size and handling which differs between Hybrid and the normal escape, it is strictly power. I can totally understand, for obvious reasons, why Ford wouldn't want to 'Guarantee' the Hybrid to tow more than 1000 lbs. Tow ratings literally mean that your vehicle can tow 1000 lbs at any grade for any amount of time in even the hottest of weather without stopping, without damaging anything. We only tow our boat a few city blocks to the ramp once a year, where it stays. In our situation, the escape serves perfectly adequate for this minor task - and we don't put any stress on the vehicle. :)
OK, thanks for the clarification. So if I don't plan on going backwards while towing, I can carry a larger load. :) I'm guessing still not at the load rating of a non-hybrid model, since they have more HP and the Otto engine?
As a side note, I wonder if there is a way to make a switch/button to force the engine on in reverse, then turn s/b off for normal use.

#14 ·
Jeff88 said:
Rascie said:
OK, thanks for the clarification. So if I don't plan on going backwards while towing, I can carry a larger load. :) I'm guessing still not at the load rating of a non-hybrid model, since they have more HP and the Otto engine?
As a side note, I wonder if there is a way to make a switch/button to force the engine on in reverse, then turn s/b off for normal use.
No worries. As the Hybrid is only rated at 1000 lbs towing capacity, if you choose to tow over that amount, your warranty will not cover something related to the towing if you blow something up. If your warranty is already outdated, then doesn't really make much difference does it? We choose to tow more, and know the risk. There is no way of the engine powering you in reverse, as there is literally no reverse gear for the gasoline engine.

#15 ·
My factory hitch is 350lb tongue weight and 3500lb total weight with the 1 1/4in receiver and the reason I know the numbers for it cuz it says it right on top of the receiver

#16 ·
We got our Hidden Hitch Class III receiver from etrailer.com and it has a 500/5000 ratings. But keep in mind 350/3500 is the factory rating. Although I've did a variety of weights over 3500 due to the already poor brakes on the Escape if the trailer brakes were to fail it wouldn't be wise on a regular basis.. but hey there's always Chevy's broke down on the side of the road that could be used as stopping devices :lol: . Gas mileage varies the lowest with the heaviest weight was 14-15 normal is 18-19 and without the trailer is 22-25. So it does cost some but that's still better than the F150.

#18 ·
Jeff88 said:
Rascie said:
There is no way of the engine powering you in reverse, as there is literally no reverse gear for the gasoline engine.
Is that because CVT transmissions cannot go in reverse or is that a Ford design?
To be honest with ya, I have no idea!! All I know is the CVT is running on a belt system, and since it never changes gears... it may not be able to go in reverse? Or else Ford just chose not to bother with the extra cost, as the electric was sufficient for reverse.

#22 ·
im moving from California to Texas roughly 1800miles xsaim installing a classIII curt hitch on my 2008 ford escape hybrid, all i have is a 2BR apt and garage tools, what type of uhaul? im thinking of a 4X8 but that might be too small and will the truck be able to handle it?

i made mi mind up ill get the 6x12' with the surge brakes. wighs like 1900lbs and i dont have more than 600 lbs of stuff just bulky leaving room and queen size bed

#23 ·
Hybrid models have a 1,000 lb towing limit which most people on this forum attribute to the lack of mechanical drive when in reverse.

http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/ford ... s-manuals/

There's a link to your owner's manual. Scroll down to your model year and check out pg. 181.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.