2012 Escape V6 Flex - mysterious exhaust part

Review and request part numbers here!

2012 Escape V6 Flex - mysterious exhaust part

Postby Jarod997 - December 29th, 2016, 2:22 pm

I have a part between the cat and the muffler (not the rear resonator just before the tailpipe), which looks like it could be an extra resonator - but I can't seem to find any reference to this part on various parts diagrams.

The pipe on the muffler side of this mysterious part has become detached right at the part - it looks like possibly faulty welding. I'm guessing the pipe could be re-welded to the part - both of the pieces are in fairly good condition. I floored my machine whilst passing and at that moment the engine noise became much louder - I knew I blew something in the exhaust.

See this photo composite I made to illustrate. The image on the left is the muffler, the image on the right is the cat, the piece in the middle is the one in question. You can see the pipe joint that's come apart -- I just re-aligned them by hand best I could.
2012 Escape XLT
AWD, V6 Black/Black
Jarod997

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: Paul
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT AWD V6

Re: 2012 Escape V6 Flex - mysterious exhaust part

Postby Mike Dee - December 30th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Is there a question? Fix it. Its thin sheet metal and its rusting so it wont be long before a weld breaks free again, a few years maybe, depends on rust, salt, vibration, etc. You got 4 or so years on the original which isnt very good.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Re: 2012 Escape V6 Flex - mysterious exhaust part

Postby Jarod997 - January 1st, 2017, 1:25 pm

Sorry, the question was supposed to be: what is the part?

There is some minor surface corrosion on the pipe and the part, but with a bit of sanding they could be welded back together IMHO. I'm just surprised that the joint has completely failed and the surrounding parts are not nearly that far gone.
2012 Escape XLT
AWD, V6 Black/Black
Jarod997

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: Paul
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT AWD V6

Return to Part Numbers