The Ford Part Number Paradigm- please help me understand!

Review and request part numbers here!

The Ford Part Number Paradigm- please help me understand!

Postby buckyswider - March 20th, 2017, 7:06 am

Hi all, coming from Honda world, where everything is simple and straighforward and ponies and butterflies ;), I'm confused on how the Ford part number system works. My *guess* at this point is that on the fordparts.com diagrams they only expose a portion of the full part number until you buy in order to prevent people from buying third party. That seems why the cool dude who has the software and the 'part number request' thread is such a help- ask for the specific part # and he looks it up for us.

I see similar parts with slightly different specs and prices with the same part # on fordparts. For instance, multiple instances of a wiring harness with the same part number- difference being one "with heated seats" and the other "without heated seats". Different prices, of course.

So if my perception correct or is there something I'm missing? Thanks!
2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Mine since 3/18/2017 (with 114K)
Factory Nav, Leather Package, Sunroof
buckyswider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2010 Mariner Hybrid

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: The Ford Part Number Paradigm- please help me understand

Postby 14theRoad - March 31st, 2017, 6:51 pm

buckyswider wrote:Hi all, coming from Honda world, where everything is simple and straighforward and ponies and butterflies ;), I'm confused on how the Ford part number system works. My *guess* at this point is that on the fordparts.com diagrams they only expose a portion of the full part number until you buy in order to prevent people from buying third party. That seems why the cool dude who has the software and the 'part number request' thread is such a help- ask for the specific part # and he looks it up for us.

I see similar parts with slightly different specs and prices with the same part # on fordparts. For instance, multiple instances of a wiring harness with the same part number- difference being one "with heated seats" and the other "without heated seats". Different prices, of course.

So if my perception correct or is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

Just have to know where to look ;) fordparts will only give you the partial number like you guessed and that is often times not enough to get the correct part for your vehicle. Ford parts giant gives you the complete number.

I can't say for the majority of the number what it means but I can tell you the last two characters (letters) are the revision number. for example, 1FZ2-17563-AA would be superseded by 1FZ2-17563-AB which would then be superseded by 1FZ2-17563-AC and so on.

Also, if you do use Fordparts, if you have your VIN number and enter it, the site will only display the parts meant for your VIN so that helps a lot. Ford parts giant does too in case there are multiple similar parts for your description of vehicle or your don't have the complete part number already.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4

Re: The Ford Part Number Paradigm- please help me understand

Postby buckyswider - April 1st, 2017, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply!! Good info. Just went to the parts GIANT, entered my VIN and in fact it did spit out what I currently have.

Now I'm going to have to do some detective work!

My pie-in-the-sky plan is to harvest used parts and retrofit "factory" heated seats and mirrors for my 2010 Mariner Hybrid. I first need to ascertain what parts are different between my vehicle and one with those options, and see if any of them is a show-stopper. I know the basics: seats & mirrors (DUH!), heating control module, and a few harnesses. But I see that the heated seats connect to the smart junction box- if that needs swapping then I think I'm dead in the water.

I guess I'll have to find out the VIN of a 2010 with the premium package and start comparing on the giant, huh? Could be quite the wild goose chase...

thanks for the info!
2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Mine since 3/18/2017 (with 114K)
Factory Nav, Leather Package, Sunroof
buckyswider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2010 Mariner Hybrid

Return to Part Numbers