Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

confusing fast signal flash

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MadMax 
#1 ·
So the other day i was driving around and all of a sudden my left turn signal start flashing fast. Figured, welp time to swap out the bulbs when i get home. This is where its get confusing. When i left work later that day (at night), with my lights on, my turn signal flashes normal.

I get home, get out of my escape to investigate whats going on. It appears that all of my turn signals, running lights, and break lights are working in proper condition (light up). However when my lights are all off, it flashes hyper fast like there is a burnt bulb, but once again, it appears that all of the lights are working properly. Its only the left hand (driver) side when the lights are OFF. The passenger side isn't affected at all regardless if the lights are on or off.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
:shrug: It's somehow getting extra current causing the fast flash. Something is in the process of going out. Mine was doing the same thing, but it stopped and hasn't done it again for quite some time. I would just keep an eye on it until something changes. Maybe do a voltage check, but if nothing else is causing issues I wouldn't be too concerned. Since bulbs are cheap you might just want to change it anyway to see if the problem persists

#4 ·
I don't know if these have electronic flashers or standard flashers. When a bulb is going the flasher can be effected causing rapid flashing or no flashing. As many have said before me, change the bulbs with new bulbs. Make sure the contacts are not corroded and greased. Change the left rear bulbs as those are easy. I would still go with Sylvania even though some of those are made in China now.

#5 ·
i had a pretty busy weekend. Had to work saturday (58 hour check this week woo!), had my daughter, and gf came into town. Bulb stopped hyperflashing saturday afternoon randomly, so i am leaning towards a loose filament in one of the bulbs. Will replace them this weekend if one doesn't go out before then.

#6 ·
i haven't changed the bulb yet, but last night walking out to my escape i noticed the driver side rear bulb was much brighter than my passenger rear bulb. Did some easy tests (i work 2nd shift so it was dark), and my DS rear taillight doesn't flash with my blinker on (no hyper flash), and stays a constant bright with my foot on the brake pedal or off. So i hope replacing the bulb will cure this permanent "brake light" look.

any other ideas?

#8 ·
bought a new bulb today and installed it before i went into work, tested it, and all FOUR of my turn signals would flash (like as if my hazzards were on, just fast) when i hit the lever to turn left, but would only make the right side flash when i hit it to turn right.

On break i went out to my escape, took the taillight off again, and disconnected the wiring harness for my trailer hitch. Everything works flawlessly now. Since it was installed 8 months ago, i believe its time to call up my friendly dealer and see if there is a warranty on the wiring.

#9 ·
HuntingEscape said:
bought a new bulb today and installed it before i went into work, tested it, and all FOUR of my turn signals would flash (like as if my hazzards were on, just fast) when i hit the lever to turn left, but would only make the right side flash when i hit it to turn right.

On break i went out to my escape, took the taillight off again, and disconnected the wiring harness for my trailer hitch. Everything works flawlessly now. Since it was installed 8 months ago, i believe its time to call up my friendly dealer and see if there is a warranty on the wiring.
Glad you figured it out :thumb:

#10 ·
Once again Escape city comes to the rescue!
Just this morning as I was driving I noticed that when I indicated right the clicker inside the car would click very fast. Left indicator clicked at normal pace.
Checked the lights at home, the bulbs appear to be working if lights are turned on but when I indicated the passenger side rear would not flash.
Looked in manual to see if a fuse could be the problem but it appears all indicators and stop lights are on the one fuse. Since all other lights are working that ruled that out and left me quite confused.
I can't tell if its working as a brake light because it's just me here at the moment.
A quick consultation of good old Escape City and it appears to be an easy fix. I'll swap out the bulb soon and hope that is all it is.
Thanks guys!

#11 ·
I wisend up and used a brick to depress the brake pedal and sure enough the passenger side does not light up brighter.
There are two bulbs in there, both work on the low setting, ie when lights are on, but neither work on high setting, ie indicating or stopping.
I find it kind of weird that both bulbs would develop such a specific issue at the same time. Maybe once one is gone they both act the same way?
Anyway, I'm going to continue on with the plan, and hopefully cheap way, of fixing this issue with new bulbs.

#12 ·
best part is bulbs are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Just a phillips head screw driver and 5 mins. I would recommend replacing all 4 bulbs at once. I use this same method when replacing headlights. When one burns out, just replace both at the same time since you already have the tools out anyways.

#14 ·
I had the same thing started 2 days ago. From my extensive mechanical background and the tricks I learned, I smacked the tailight a few times and bazinga, they work. Happened again yesterday at a accident/vehicle extrication scene so i swapped the bulbs with Walmart LEDs and i like em. I do have the hyperflash which I'd like to get rid of so any ideas would help. But I like em regardless.

#15 ·
RedTailRay said:
I had the same thing started 2 days ago. From my extensive mechanical background and the tricks I learned, I smacked the tailight a few times and bazinga, they work. Happened again yesterday at a accident/vehicle extrication scene so i swapped the bulbs with Walmart LEDs and i like em. I do have the hyperflash which I'd like to get rid of so any ideas would help. But I like em regardless.
Did you try smacking the new LEDs? I mean, what the hell, right? :shrug:

:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.