LED Turn Signal Flasher?? Using Flashback Turn signals

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

LED Turn Signal Flasher?? Using Flashback Turn signals

Postby westkane - May 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

Does anyone know of where I can find a LED or Timer Flasher for a 2011 XLS Escape. I put in Flashback LED turn signals, but even with 50 watt, 6 ohm load resistors, the turn signals still are about twice as fast as they should be. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
westkane

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: LED Turn Signal Flasher?? Using Flashback Turn signals

Postby Escape94 - May 19th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Are you referring to switchback LEDs? Like white/ Amber ones?

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Use Forscan and a laptop, disable the bulb out indication. No resistors and no hyperflash.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby westkane - May 20th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Yes switchback LED, white, then turn amber for turn signal. Turn signal is about double speed, even with the 50 watt 6 Ohm Load resistors. Anyone tell me where the flasher unit is physically located within the 2011 xls? I could put in a AP 27 relay which is supposedly made for LEDs. It may work on a timer as opposed to normal flasher units. I just need to find the physical unit itself. Or is it in a logic control unit that controls the flash. Thanks
westkane

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 21st, 2017, 8:27 am

There is no flasher module. The flash is controlled by the SJB. That is why I recommended Forscan and a laptop if you wanted to do it without resistors. 50 watts is not the proper load for this application. As the computer is detecting the load to determine if something is wrong, it is expecting 25 watts. 50 watts is the load of two standard bulbs, therefore the computer thinks the load is too great, and is indicating an error.

Either get the proper resistors, or disable the bulb out detection in the computer entirely.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby westkane - May 24th, 2017, 12:57 am

I figured that the 50 watts 6 ohm were the wrong load resistors, it just seems like they are everywhere and about the only option. Thanks. Now I need to find someone whom will lend me a Forscan. Thanks
westkane

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 24th, 2017, 6:50 am

Forscan is free. You just need to buy a bluetooth OBDII reader that is compatible with Ford specific modules. (most $20 ones on the internet are not compatible with Ford modules). This is the one I have, and have been very happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/pi ... ame=sp_atf

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby westkane - May 25th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I am at a loss, could you explain the math Jay2theRescue? Intially, I had 25 watt 6 Ohm, they got super hot and still flashed at about double speed. So based on someones advice, they said 50 watts resistors won't get as hot, same result, not Hyper, but about double speed. Then someone said I needed 50 Watt 8 Ohm, this was the latest venture, same thing, double speed flashing. That's why I would like to understand the P = I *V and V = I *R stuff so I know what the proper load would be. The incandescent bulbs draw 2.2 A and my Escape puts out 14.3 VDC. Can you explain the math so I can Understand what I am doing wrong? I will get a ODBII reader, but may need some help with it as its out of my league using such a tool. Especially the part about disabling the "Bulb Out" part. I don't have a CanBus system so I need to get into the SMJ logic, find this Bit related to a bulbout and disable it? I like to learn what I am doing wrong, and why it isn't working, plus learn new things, but I can say it is a bit intimidating. I appreciate everyone's input and assistance. Onward through the fog I trudge with the guidance of others. The Bulbs I have are JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 120-EX Chipsets White/Yellow 3157 3155 3457 4157 Switchback LED Bulbs with Projector For Turn Signal Lights( Only work for standard socket , not for ck socket) and do not know what the spec.s are. Thank you so Much!!
westkane

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 25th, 2017, 6:28 pm

It has been ages since I've been in Physics class, I can't really explain the math to you. When I had LEDs on my Escape, I bought the resistors recommended to me by the seller for my application. (I bought from www.VLEDS.com). I know that a load that is too much or too little will trigger the system. When I do go back to LEDs on my Escape, I'll just disable the bulb out indication.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby ITBland - May 25th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Search for "Ohms Law Calculator" online (computers are good at math--who knew? :bang: ). Put in any two of
1. Voltage (V),
2. Current (Amperage)(I), or
3. Resistance (R)
to calculate the third value.
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator this one includes power, but that is just V*I.
At 12.6v and 2.2A, 6 ohm would be just about correct (without the bulb), but the power draw would be 27W, too much for a 25W rated resistor. (At 14.3V it is ~31W!)
The Switchback bulbs are 6.5W http://www.jdmastar.com/product/321/3030-SMD-3157-White-Yellow-Switchback-LED-Bulbs-Set-of-2.html, so you are drawing too much current. We need ~20.5W additional current draw (at rated 12.6V) to match the 3457 bulb, so the 8 ohm resistor should be correct :thumb: IF connected to the correct wire :? . If it is connected to the parking light filament, then it is doing you no good (I wonder if this is what is wrong :? .)
HTH
ITBland

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2005 FEH and 2010 FEH

Next

Return to Electrical Mods