Outside Temperature Gauge

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Re: Outside Temperature Gauge

Postby thesavo - April 15th, 2017, 2:36 pm

I went to the Salvage yard today. I had to get the sensor from one vehicle and the heater control from another(2008 escape). One had a busted front and the other had a bashed-in console.

So the sensor alone did not work with my stock 2008 Mariner. It did with a heater controller from one with factory outside temp. Since I didn't have anyway of knowing before pulling out the heater, I ran the vin through Ford etis. It showed that it came with outside air temp. So I grabbed the heater controller from that.

2008 Mariner w/o OAT 8L84-19980-AJ
2008 escape w/OAT - 8L84-19980-AJ

Both have the same exact part number. The only differences I can see are on the part label on the back and the top.

The top I would lead to be a build date. There is also what looks like a date field on the back. The dates are not the same for the same unit..

The other difference is under the Barcode which is under the part number. The Mariner w/o OAT is 144195. The one from the escape XLT is 158225. There could very well be a feature code, a serial number, a firmware number or just about anything else.
From this experience, research the donor vehicle before grabbing the heater unit for OAT.

Source: https://www.etis.ford.com

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 3

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby thesavo - April 18th, 2017, 11:15 pm

It's definitely in forscan. I'll swap my mariner HVAC unit back in and see if I can just enable it in forscan.

thesavo

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby Farmall200 - May 17th, 2017, 11:30 pm

thesavo wrote:It's definitely in forscan. I'll swap my mariner HVAC unit back in and see if I can just enable it in forscan.

You figure out if Forscan can just enable it? Would be nice to just have to buy a temp sensor, and not a HVAC controller as well
Farmall200

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 17th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Forscan has it, but not for all models. I tried to enable it on my dad's 08 Focus, and that hack isn't available for his car.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Previous

Return to Electrical Mods