2011 escape 6f35 transmission problems

Engine, transmission, exhaust, drivetrain, more

2011 escape 6f35 transmission problems

Postby wolfman2011 - June 22nd, 2011, 2:03 pm

Is anyone having transmission trouble with the 2011 6f35. I would especially like to hear from anyone flat towing a 2011 behind their motorhome. Was at my ford dealer today and requested transmission fluid check and adjustment and record on my work order. They checked and said it was ok, no adjustment. They also said i would have to pay to have the fluid level lowered if req'd. which pissed me off. They also told me about a lady with a 2010 who flat towed and had to have the 6f35 replaced 3 times before ford bought it back. Would appreciate any info on the 2011, thanks.
wolfman2011

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2011 escape 6f35 transmission problems

Postby Domain - June 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm

What did they say the level was at? I remember my SM telling me that they shipped from the factory not at full capacity (but still a very safe capacity) to permit flat towing operations.
Domain

Current: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Prior Fleet:
2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD (now in Ohio)
2008 Ford Fusion SE AWD (total loss at hands of second owner)
2011 Ford Escape XLT AWD (sold, hopefully to a good home locally)
2013 Ford Taurus SEL FWD (sold, hopefully to a good home locally)

Fleet not owned, but cared for:

2010 Ford Escape XLT AWD (3.0L)

30 NY Counties - 3 States/Provinces - 2 Countries - 1 Escape

Need to pull more than just OBD Data? See this thread.
Thinking of putting HID's in your reflector headlamps? STOP! Read this first.
Is your vehicle under a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury recall? Check here.
Domain
First poster on E-C's THIRD new server

E-C LEVEL 7
Location: The Land of Snow, more commonly known as Buffalo, New York
My vehicle: 2017 Explorer Limited 4x4 2.3L
My vehicle's name: Natasha

Postby escape25 - June 26th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Wolfman2011 just got my 2009 Escape back from having transmission replaced from flat towing. I always have the level checked by Ford and request it written on work order, no problem having this done or any charge. Possible because I always take a copy of TSB 09-20-13 with me and give to service writer. Never a charge to check TSB. Follow the instructions and I hope you have better luck than me.

escape25
escape25

2009 escape Flat Towed
escape25

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby wolfman2011 - June 27th, 2011, 10:01 am

Domain---escape25---
The service manager from the Ford dealer called me and had me make an appointment to bring my Escape back in Wednesday to recheck the fluid level at no charge. We'll see what that amounts to. The fluid level was just above the lower marks on the dip stick but still into the upper hash marks when i brought it home from the first service last week. Under normal conditions it would be ok, but since i will tow it i don't want to take any chances with it.
wolfman2011

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby wolfman2011 - June 29th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Here's the update on my 2011 escape. The service manager had the transmission tech check it out completely going by TSB 9-20-13. Ran it up to 185 + degrees and did load test and found it to be one to one and a half quarts over what was required. After excess was removed he showed me the correct level on the stick and said not to add any extra even if it looks low. Well i guess i'll find out when i do my first flat tow. Anyway i have it all on paper so it's verified.
wolfman2011

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Flat Top - July 4th, 2011, 6:55 pm

wolfman; A work buddy of mine flat towed his 2011 and smoked the transmission....and, the fluid was reduced to the proper level for flat towing! After a heated discussion with the dealer, and a call to Ford, he got a brand new transmission that was supposedly "flat tow compatible"...........we shall see, because he continues to flat tow his Escape.
Flat Top

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Flat Top
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape V6 4X4

Postby amdgamer - July 5th, 2011, 2:04 am

wolfman2011 wrote:Here's the update on my 2011 escape. The service manager had the transmission tech check it out completely going by TSB 9-20-13. Ran it up to 185 + degrees and did load test and found it to be one to one and a half quarts over what was required. After excess was removed he showed me the correct level on the stick and said not to add any extra even if it looks low. Well i guess i'll find out when i do my first flat tow. Anyway i have it all on paper so it's verified.

Due to the flat towing issue, what you did is EXACTLY what everyone who plans on flat towing should do. By all means, I believe they should make sure the dealer adjusts the fluid level just so that it is documented in the system.
2016 Shadow Black Ford Edge Sport
New Lebanon, OH Rotarian
amdgamer

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: amdgamer
My vehicle: 2016 Black Ford Edge Sport
My vehicle's name: Dark Knight

Postby kvturner1 - July 17th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I don't think the engineers have the flat towing issue resolved. I would guess that there will be a class action lawsuit soon.

June 30th was the day my 6F35 transmission overheated while towing my 2011 Escape with 10,201 miles on it. When I bought the escape in December, with a build date of November 2010, I had the dealer adjust the transmission level for flat towing. During my first tow, I drove 220 miles. Ran the car. Everything looked great. After 100 miles more, the car was smoking. When I pulled over, the car had transmission oil dripping everywhere off the car and the back was covered with oil. Ford Roadside was great. They called a wrecker and towed me to the closest Ford Dealer. Before I left the dealership, Ford had authorized the warantee repair because I had proof the dealer had set the transmission level for flat towing. Ford installed a new transmission. After 18 days, I am still waiting to get the Escape back, it's 320 miles away.

I will be towing a different car next year. I do not want another vacation full of unreimbursed rental cars.
kvturner1

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby wolfman2011 - July 19th, 2011, 10:16 am

Mine was built in Jan. 2011 and i bought it end of Feb. I still haven't towed yet, but soon. I sure hate to hear your 2011 Escape had the transmission issue. Man if you have to replace it for a new tow vehicle you have a big expense for tow bar brackets 2 years in a row! I don't envy you there. Hope you get those 6f35 problems resolved and hope i don't end up with them when i tow.
wolfman2011

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby alopez - August 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm

All I know so far is that I work for a company that purchased six (6) new 2011 Ford Escapes, and in less than 5 months, three (3) of them are in the shop with broken transmissions. One of them leaked the transmission oil out through the hose joint to the oil cooling system, and the other two still remain a mystery at the Ford Dealership. The one that leaked the oil out is completely dead, we need to install an entirely new transmission. On the other two, the Ford Dealership is waiting for our authorization to pull out the transmission and open it up to determine what's wrong.

Numbers don't lie: 3 out of 6 is not mere bad luck or coincidence. There's something obviously not right with the 2011 Ford Escape transmission.

I will post more information as it becomes available to me. Unfortunately, we had already committed to buying another two (2) 2011 Ford Escapes to take our Escape fleet up to eight (8). This will really add strength to the theory that numbers don't lie. Based on our facts, there's a 50% chance that one of the two new ones coming soon will have transmission problems.
alopez

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Powertrain Mods