Transmission Drain Plug

Engine, transmission, exhaust, drivetrain, more

Transmission Drain Plug

Postby Northeast2016 - February 28th, 2017, 12:41 am

Hi all,

I'm doing a transmission drain and fill soon on my 2011 2.5L Escape. Has anyone done this and how many quarts went back in? Also I noticed the drain plug is pretty rusty- what are the odds of it breaking/snapping when I go to get it open? I plan on getting a replacement plug as well.

NE
Northeast2016

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Escape 2.5L

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Transmission Drain Plug

Postby Squirrel - March 2nd, 2017, 8:50 pm

Don't worry about the plug...it will be fine.

As for the fluid, drain when cold and replace with new, as much as came out.
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield |BOSS BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Postby Northeast2016 - March 2nd, 2017, 9:25 pm

Squirrel wrote:Don't worry about the plug...it will be fine.

As for the fluid, drain when cold and replace with new, as much as came out.

Thanks for the info Squirrel :thumb:
Northeast2016

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Escape 2.5L

Postby Sevencycle - April 25th, 2017, 3:50 am

I hate to contradict a fellow owner, but the trans fluid should be warm before draining not cold. It lowers viscosity which allows it to drain faster and aids in a more complete drain.
G. Ripley
Sevencycle

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: '02 Tribute ES 4x4

Postby 14theRoad - May 16th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Sevencycle wrote:I hate to contradict a fellow owner, but the trans fluid should be warm before draining not cold. It lowers viscosity which allows it to drain faster and aids in a more complete drain.

Also, when the fluid is still warm (warmer the better), the garbage is still suspended in the fluid and will more thoroughly drain out. If the fluid is cold, all of the garbage has settled and you may not get out as much of the gunk if it's settled into a crevice.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Squirrel - May 16th, 2017, 11:36 pm

OK. Drain it while it's hot, and then let it cool and reduce in the drain pan to know what to put back in. I personally have never had an issue draining when cold but YMMV. I do however check the level of the fluid hot with the dipstick. :thumb:
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield |BOSS BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Postby mattadams - May 19th, 2017, 11:08 am

I did this recently with my 2010 2.5L. Drain plug came out easily even though it looked a little rusty as well. I didn't bother replacing, it seemed fine.
Replacing the fluid seemed to be annoying... or I don't know how to read a dipstick properly or something. I ended up putting about 4.5 quarts in, letting it run for 5-10 minutes to get it hot, and the dipstick showed it was full. Took it out, cleaned it off, put it back in, still showed completely full. Let the engine run a while longer, took it for a drive, came back... still showed full... but then it wasn't full. The next day I checked it again and even hot it was showing there was bairly enough to read on the dipstick. Long story short, a few attempts at this, and I think I finally got it right, all I can figure is it may have taken a while to get it into all the parts of the transmission? It ended up taking about 5 1/2 quarts, total, which is about what I expected it would take anyway from the manual and watching some videos on it.
Glad I did it myself, otherwise, it was about as easy as an oil change. I had read (after the fact) it should be done every 30,000 miles on these transmissions, and mine was nearing 100,000 miles and had never been done. It was pretty dark coming out, but didn't seem burned or anything.
Matt Adams
2010 Silver XLT Escape
mattadams

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2010 Silver Escape XLT

Postby thesavo - June 19th, 2017, 10:27 am

Don't forget to run though all the gears or settings in the transmission range sensor. Or drive it 'round for 10 minutes. I find just running the engine isn't the most actuate

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 3

Return to Powertrain Mods