Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Possible to order only headlight lenses?

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jonas1022 
#1 ·
I'm looking for headlight lenses from '05+ headlights. I don't need the entire assembly (nor do I want the added cost). Anyone know if it's possible to order lenses only from anywhere?

#3 ·
If they are like the Mustangs, the lense can be separated at the seal. The glue will soften when the assembly is placed in an oven under mild heat for a short term. Mustang fanatics, like myself have pulled them apart and removed the fog from inside the lense and reassembled the two pieces. It's not worth the bother, better to just buy the Ford assembly as they are comprimised by the process and old. Aftermarket sets are of questionable quality, imo. :shades:

#4 ·
Exactly, on both counts.

The "Depo" brand lamp assemblies I've seen are pretty poor in quality, for only a few bucks less than the factory parts. And with headlamps, the aftermarket parts will scratch and discolor more easily.

#5 ·
It seems the factory units have a high impact film added to keep the plastic from pitting. It isn't the best in the world, but I can only imagine what a contoured unit would cost if made from glass. YIKES!

#6 ·
No point in buying the '05+ headlights if all I want is the lense. I have an '02. I dont think I'll be spending all that money on newer headlights and not use them...that'd be kinda crazy. lol :lol: Is there any way to make the '02 lense clear? :D :hyst:

#8 ·
Take a propane torch and run the flame over the lens. I've used this technique to clear cloudy plexiglas. The down side is this isn't a permenent fix. Just don't keep the flame in one spot and don't overheat the plastic.

#9 ·
If you mean clear as in the '05 lenses, then no.

But if you mean clear as in clean them up, I use car wax on the head and tail lamps. A cleaner wax may also remove the "foggy" appearance, but only if the foggy stuff is road grime and not scratches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.