Removing rust & protecting undercarriage write up

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Re: Removing rust & protecting undercarriage write up

Postby pdc214 - October 10th, 2011, 12:30 am

pdc214 wrote:
JOHN93RANGERSTX wrote:keep telling your self that does not take much to mess up a drive shaft

And the only reason why I am debating this is because I don't want this to scare people in similar situations from going about doing this.

Worse comes to worse one does spray 10oz of paint on a single side unbalancing the drive shaft...One can take it into a shop and have it treated and re-balanced for around $50.
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby jbone2470 - October 10th, 2011, 12:47 am

As long as your not takin chunks out of it and putting light coat paint on it you will be allset...After all if there's alot rust on it well it wasn't there when it was new so if ya think about it it would be better like it was new after he is done...Just keep the coats light .. :beer: But i no expert, just seems right to me... :rockon:

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby pdc214 - October 10th, 2011, 12:25 pm

jbone2470 wrote:As long as your not takin chunks out of it and putting light coat paint on it you will be allset...After all if there's alot rust on it well it wasn't there when it was new so if ya think about it it would be better like it was new after he is done...Just keep the coats light .. :beer: But i no expert, just seems right to me... :rockon:

My thoughts exactly. However, to do this job 100% correctly, I absolutely need to find a shop that will let me use their bays for a night (say a Saturday night into Sunday). I would ultimately like to apply Rust Doctor cleaner/degreaser, Rust Doctor product, then undercoat her with Rustoleum rubberized undercoating or the Permatex I have been using. That way I could get all of it, as well as rotate the driveshaft in gear.

Possibly the local tire shop I have invested $1700 in will let me have a go at it one night...
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby UK PONY - October 12th, 2011, 11:06 pm

POR-15 is an excellent rust inhibitor - used by the British Army on just about anything that moves.
UK PONY

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby EscapefromKY - December 13th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Do not bother with paint unless you intend to take everything apart and paint the area's you cannot get to. Use an oil based product that will creep into the seams. Fluid Film or one of the many similar products. Old timers used to use used motor oil.

Best applied with a sprayer like an air powered undercoating/truck bed liner gun ($30ish) or a harbor freight electric paint gun ($30ish).
EscapefromKY

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods