Removing rust & protecting undercarriage write up

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

Removing rust & protecting undercarriage write up

Postby pdc214 - October 7th, 2011, 3:16 pm

All,

Just a heads up to look on this thread for those that may have some rust issues on their under carriage. Coming from MA, after only three years, my undercarriage is pretty rusted, and being in college, I can't afford professional service (nor are they even offered in TX, where I live now, because there are no rust issues in TX)

I will be doing a write up on repair and prevention techniques soon, including the result pictures, products used, and methods to clean her up.

If any of you have had good experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions before I start (probably tomorrow or Sunday as a study break from school). I do have ONE question though: one of my product cans stresses to avoid spraying the exhaust system (mainly catalytic converter)...there is a lot of rust on the CC, and this needs to be addressed...what would happen if I applied rust remover and rust proof paint to this?

Anyways, this will be my plan of action:

1. Sand the entire under carriage. I will be using a sander attached to a high powered drill bit and sand everything as best as I can (probably go through two sanders, which hopefully will expose raw steel throughout entire body)
2. 2 cans of rust remover will be sprayed and allowed to dry.
3. 'Rust Tough' primer will then be administered.
4. Regular black drying primer will then be applied and allow to dry.
5. 'Heavy-duty rubberized Undercoating' will then be applied liberally throughout the entire under carriage.

I think this should protect my Escape for its entire lifetime. Total project cost is currently $50, not including the drill bit set that I already own. Again, I appreciate any feedback before I do this...
Last edited by pdc214 on October 8th, 2011, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Re: Removing rust & protecting undercarriage write up

Postby jbone2470 - October 7th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Read some of these posts about painting exhaust and stuff......interesting, but u might want to really read up on this or take your chances it will melt off

http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-202669.html

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby megascape - October 7th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Hey if you go to a industrial hardware store, not home Depot or Lowes but a real hardware store, look for Rust Bullet or a paint that says Rust Inhibitor. We use it on the cargo boats, ferry's etc and it works great. Spendy but worth it if you want it to last. If you live anywhere near the Gulf you should be able to find it or something that states Rust Inhibitor..Don't be fooled by do it your self stores when it comes to maintaining a 20,000 vehicle. Also lots of jeep'ers roll the entire jeep with that sprat on bed line. You can purchase it at any auto store..
megascape

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: secross2
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape AWD/4X4
My vehicle's name: Megascape (hopeful)

Postby pdc214 - October 8th, 2011, 12:16 am

megascape wrote:Hey if you go to a industrial hardware store, not home Depot or Lowes but a real hardware store, look for Rust Bullet or a paint that says Rust Inhibitor. We use it on the cargo boats, ferry's etc and it works great. Spendy but worth it if you want it to last. If you live anywhere near the Gulf you should be able to find it or something that states Rust Inhibitor..Don't be fooled by do it your self stores when it comes to maintaining a 20,000 vehicle. Also lots of jeep'ers roll the entire jeep with that sprat on bed line. You can purchase it at any auto store..

Yep. I got pro rated rust inhibitor and remover, corrosion inhibitor primer, and rubberizing undercoating as the final coat...For whatever reason, I couldn't wait until morning to do this, so I have been doing it tonight with flashlights and just letting my eyes adjust to the night haha...anyways, looking good. wrapping up the final coats on the main driveshaft. Avoiding the exhaust system, as I know that I am just going to sand her down and then apply BBQ paint to it liberally (I don't want to chance putting these products on it that are only rated to 200°F). But so far I am making great progress. She is looking 100x better. I didn't take any before pictures...but not really needed. Just think of a completely rusted driveshaft, catalytic converter, and everything else basically...but now I have isolated the rust just to the valve connections (I don't know what they are, but basically just joints) in the drive shaft, as I can't get my sander in between the small spaces. But, I think the products will be good enough in those small tight spaces...
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby jbone2470 - October 8th, 2011, 4:53 pm

@PDC214. Some b4 and during and after pics would be cool... :shrug:

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby pdc214 - October 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Ok I don't have before pictures, but not needed. I still have a long way to go. I started last night at around 11pm. (bored and really wanted to just start doing it asap, way to spend a friday night haha)

Anyways, here is the progress so far. Think of completely rust orange on the shaft and CC...and I've got it down to this now.

pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby JOHN93RANGERSTX - October 8th, 2011, 8:16 pm

takeing the rust of the drive shaft could make it out of ballance
JOHN93RANGERSTX

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby pdc214 - October 9th, 2011, 10:06 am

JOHN93RANGERSTX wrote:takeing the rust of the drive shaft could make it out of ballance

Not really. If I made an 8-10oz balance on one entire side, maybe. But not if I am just sanding off rust and applying rust treatment products, unless I put like 8-10 coats, which I am not. So, no. Sorry, it could not make it out of balance unless I was heavy on the spray can.
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby JOHN93RANGERSTX - October 9th, 2011, 8:05 pm

keep telling your self that does not take much to mess up a drive shaft
JOHN93RANGERSTX

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby pdc214 - October 10th, 2011, 12:29 am

JOHN93RANGERSTX wrote:keep telling your self that does not take much to mess up a drive shaft

...I will. Especially when one of my roommates is a mechanical engineer specializing in automobiles. For the 4oz of spray I painted across the entire driveshaft, no, I won't worry. I understand your concern, but I am not blindly going about this.
pdc214

E-C LEVEL 3

Next

Return to Exterior Mods