THE Snorkel thread

Body, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing, more

THE Snorkel thread

Postby sfrsemurray - May 10th, 2017, 9:22 pm

I decided to do a snorkel a long time ago but it took awhile to get there. I ordered one of the cheap XJ kits from Ebay tony surprise it was really great quality for what I paid. its thick plastic the flex tube is sealed and all the hardware was in great condition. there are no directions with the kit so. I watched a *s**** load of youtube videos on how others did this.

I started by taping off the fender and lining up the template that was supplied .. there is a small center hole for the main 3.5 in hole, the other 4 mounting holes line up ok given the fact that my fender is rounded .
I did have to round out the bottom two mounting holes a little bigger than the top just so it would seat properly.

on the inner fender I have to cut out a section of the metal to get the flex tube and inside part of the snorkel to fit in there. additionally I had to drill a second 3.5 in hole in the inner fender metal under the fuse block there is a hole thats about 3 inches but it has the wiring harness running through it don't try put it in there.
( *** be slow and double check harnesses location as you go ***)

I had to remove the the battery tray and battery along with the entire air box and the plastic stock intake pickup tube . the pick up tube is reused ( partially) . the flex tube was cut down as well because it will not fit under the fuse block and behind the intake box.

the pick up tube was cut down to about 6 inches total length from the airbox end . I did this as to not have to modify the box or create something else to hook it up . the pick up tube has a tight fit and can still rotate a little to get it all back in place. the flex tube that comes with the kit slips tightly over the stock pick up tube when it is cut down.

*****the numbers*******

MPG prior to the snorkel install was around 15-16 MPG
MPG now is around 18-19
___
intake temps were measured on a SCAN Gauge II prior to the intake I was about 30-40 degrees F above the ambient outside temp

now I am within 5 degrees F of outside temp.
____

total install time was around 8 hours only because I did it at night and under work lights without all the proper tools on hand . if I had to do it again right now I think I could get it in about 4 hours.

____

tools: drill, drill bits, 3.5 in hole saw, center punch ,step up drill bits, hammer, masking tape, screw drivers, dremil tool, small grinder, 1 can self etching primer, 1 can of paint ( body color of what ever you prefer ) may be missing some but this is the basics.

feel free to follow the build as I go IG is @porkchopxpress

thanks for reading pictures to come
sfrsemurray

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: matt
My vehicle: 2008 E Limited / 2015 pilot
My vehicle's name: lola / mommy wagon

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: THE Snorkel thread

Postby Squirrel - May 11th, 2017, 10:48 am

:pics:
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Postby Escape94 - May 11th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Squirrel wrote::pics:

Oh just wait :shades: I'm going to post some pics for the OP. It's actually pretty impressive

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby Escape94 - May 15th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Here are the OP's pics: :D

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby MadMax - May 16th, 2017, 2:52 am

Good work :thumb: Glad you were able to improve mpg, you're prior mileage was dismal
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Return to Exterior Mods