Door Panel Upholstery

Seats, instrument panel, headliner, console, panels, detailing, more

Door Panel Upholstery

Postby Suprawill1 - August 24th, 2016, 4:11 am

Hi All,
I have the black leather interior. There is a smaller panel on the door panel that supports the door opener handle. It is oval shaped and extends the length of the door. The leather has separated from this panel and is falling off from back to front. Is this repairable merely by tucking the perimeter back into the surrounding crack or do I have to remove the door panel and the smaller panel to reupholster it?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Will
Suprawill1

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My nickname: Suprawill1
My vehicle: '05 Escape Limited

Re: Door Panel Upholstery

Postby rehctelf - August 24th, 2016, 9:59 am

This is a pretty common complaint on earlier Escapes, most members here in the City have opted to pop the panel off and use a spray adhesive to stick the material back in place.
rehctelf

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: Mart
My vehicle: 06' Escape XLT No Boundaries
My vehicle's name: Truckster

Postby Suprawill1 - August 24th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Ok, thanks for the hit. I'll give that a shot.
Suprawill1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Midshift - August 24th, 2016, 11:03 pm

Try spray adhesive.

Happened on 3 panels thus far in my Mariner. I spray, let tack, then add pressure (even set weight on it) and gently use a butter knife (or straight edge) to "tuck" the top part around the edge..
"Mods":
6000k Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps/Fogs (Diode Dynamics LLC - STL Mo)
Complete Vehicle Std--to--LED Bulb swap (SuperBrightLEDs - Maryland Heights Mo)
K&N Air Filter
Body molded mudflaps
Custom MTX/Kenwood Audio system
Weathertech floormats
Midshift

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: Midshift
My vehicle: '05 Mariner Luxury 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Lil-4WD

Postby 1X4WDEscape - August 26th, 2016, 2:51 pm

The spray will last only if the item you are attaching backing hasn't disintegrated. If it has foam backing, that will need to be removed or replaced, otherwise it will continue to peel off in a short while. I had to redo all my panels. I learned this when I had to replace a headliner and decorative panels on a car I had in the 80'. Sad thing is the German and Asian vehicles I owned over the decades didn't have this problem until much later in their life.
1X4WDEscape

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2006 Mercury Mariner 4x4

Postby GatorJ - September 11th, 2016, 8:52 am

1X4WDEscape wrote:The spray will last only if the item you are attaching backing hasn't disintegrated. If it has foam backing, that will need to be removed or replaced, otherwise it will continue to peel off in a short while. I had to redo all my panels. I learned this when I had to replace a headliner and decorative panels on a car I had in the 80'. Sad thing is the German and Asian vehicles I owned over the decades didn't have this problem until much later in their life.

Correct. It is the deterioration of the foam backing that causes these panels to fail. I've had 2 interior shops work on my '06 Hybrid. Neither was interested in reusing the failed vinyl. The first shop tried to put foam backing back on and it was a disaster. That small edge around the vinyl is so shallow it is extremely difficult to cut the material precisely enough. The second shop didn't use any backing, but that leaves a textured /bumpy appearance to the vinyl. It doesn't look bad as the rest of the panel is fairly textured itself.

If you are going to try this on your own reusing the original material, your only hope of getting it to last is to get both surfaces as clean of foam residue and old adhesive as possible.
GatorJ

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD

Postby derrickc85 - September 11th, 2016, 5:22 pm

I have talked to auto upholster and was told to fix this problem the right way would to be replace old with new. around 100 bucks. I went a different way and used carbon fiber. looks good takes alot of prep time to get it right. and heat is a bad thing.
derrickc85

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Suprawill1 - November 11th, 2016, 2:46 am

I repaired this myself using 3M General Purpose 45 spray adhesive. Yes, the foam backing does deteriorate but I rubbed it down with a cloth and cleared it of foam and dust residue. I did the same to the back of the leather covering. This particular spray adhesive is very tacky. In fact, I didn't have it lined up properly on the first try and almost couldn't pull it back off to reset it. So far, it has maintained its stick and is showing no signs of separating after almost 3 months. I don't think I could remove it if I wanted to at this point. Looks like the way to go.
Under 5 bucks beats the 180.00 the upholstery shop wanted and that's with the panel already removed.
Suprawill1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby MadMax - November 12th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Heat is the #1 enemy of most adhesives. Doesn't matter how tacky it is to start after a summer of sitting in the sun most glues will disintegrate. Even the high-temp ones eventually give up. I wish I could find a adhesive at the retail level that works :shrug: I know they must exist, because car interiors would be falling apart right away, but I sure don't know how to get them without buying a drum full
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 18

Return to Interior Mods