Door "fabric" (Summer '17) project....

Seats, instrument panel, headliner, console, panels, detailing, more

Door "fabric" (Summer '17) project....

Postby Midshift - March 4th, 2017, 8:19 am

Okay, I have had the Mariner for 30 months and all last summer I dealt with the door panel fabric pealing. Not one adhesive I used lasted more than a couple days so this summer I wish to fix this issue "once and for all"...

Would it be suggested to purchase soap, brillo pads, and some heat resistant adhesive, and "do work"?

Pull (gently) the fabric off the door panels
Using soap and brillo, clean the door panel of the old and obviously decaying padding (?)
Then using the adhesive, apply then put the door fabric back on...?

Does this sound like something that might work?

I apologize if this has been addressed in a previous thread..
"Mods":
6000k Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps/Fogs (Diode Dynamics LLC - STL Mo)
Complete Vehicle Std--to--LED Bulb swap (SuperBrightLEDs - Maryland Heights Mo)
K&N Air Filter
Body molded mudflaps
Custom MTX/Kenwood Audio system
Weathertech floormats
Midshift

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: Midshift
My vehicle: '05 Mariner Luxury 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Lil-4WD

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Door "fabric" (Summer '17) project....

Postby MadMax - March 4th, 2017, 11:48 am

Heat kills most types of adhesives, so until you find something that'll stand up to hot summer days you're going to have problems. I don't know why heat resistant glues are so hard to come by, obviously manufacturers use it, but it seems like it's only available to the trade and not through normal retail outlets. Perhaps I'm wrong and someone here will know a source. Good luck :thumb:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby backroad101 - March 4th, 2017, 1:19 pm

After pulling everything apart and properly prepping the area, have you tried headliner glue? Don't see how that would not work as that is what it is made for.

2011 Escape XLT

Silver. 2.5L Sun and Sync package. 18" Mazdaspeed3 wheels/Falken tires/Ford center caps. Body color grille, billet upper and lower inserts, chrome door handle and mirror covers, custom engine cover, Class III hitch.
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23610
backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Postby Stryfe - March 9th, 2017, 1:02 am

I agree, when my '02 had that problem (as well as the wifes 04)...

I just made sure the area was right down to the foam padding with a scraper, masked the area with blue painters tape, liberally applied "3m Super 77 universal spray adhesive" to both the foam and cloth, waited one minute for 'tackiness' and then carefully worked the material back into place with a decal squeegee.

Ours has held up to brutal overheated interior (leaving windows up on 90 degree days) as well as accidental rain damage.
2004 Ford Escape - 3.0, 4x4, Redfire Metallic/Gray Metallic two-tone (No mods except Pioneer Head Unit)
2005 Mercury Mariner - 3.0, 4x4, Gray Metallic (Daily)
2002 Ford Escape - 3.0, 4x4, Dark Green (Parts)
Stryfe

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 04 E, 05 M, 02 E

Postby MadMax - March 9th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the tip, perhaps there's finally an adhesive that works :thumb:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby Sevencycle - May 12th, 2017, 3:30 am

The 3m 77 is used extensively @ The Boeing Co. for many different processes and works very well. If your trying to remove old adhesive residue soap and water really doesnt work that well. Try some methyl ethyl ketone MEK but do a test spot to make sure it doesnt melt plastic. If it doesnt work try lacquer thinner.
G. Ripley
Sevencycle

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: '02 Tribute ES 4x4

Postby Midshift - May 16th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Sevencycle wrote:The 3m 77 is used extensively @ The Boeing Co. for many different processes and works very well. If your trying to remove old adhesive residue soap and water really doesnt work that well. Try some methyl ethyl ketone MEK but do a test spot to make sure it doesnt melt plastic. If it doesnt work try lacquer thinner.

Ordered some 3M 3808 on Amazon on Sunday
"Mods":
6000k Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps/Fogs (Diode Dynamics LLC - STL Mo)
Complete Vehicle Std--to--LED Bulb swap (SuperBrightLEDs - Maryland Heights Mo)
K&N Air Filter
Body molded mudflaps
Custom MTX/Kenwood Audio system
Weathertech floormats
Midshift

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: Midshift
My vehicle: '05 Mariner Luxury 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Lil-4WD

Return to Interior Mods